Lopi Insert power cord melting (Pictures included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
While doing my fall cleaning I noticed that my power cord which was a little burnd up and missing the wire insulation. This is just the power cord portion of the wire harness. I found this to be a little troubling after seeing the wire for the power cord is only rated to 105c and that rating is meant for the cord while in the main casing not after the inner wires have been seperated. While the main portion of the wire harness that connects to the blowers is rated to 200c. I understand that this is the lower coolest part of the stove, but one would think that this cord even though only a small portion is expossed to heat would be more heat resistant.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC01343 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01343 (800x600).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 363
Thats terribly dangerous.... I suspect it was a short in the cable, not heat from the stove.

well, at least it's not anywhere close to combustibles!

It was definetly heat not a short. The wire casing has become brittle and started falling off. I had a faulty snap disc when I first got my stove and the stove may have gotten a bit too hot without the blower running. My wondering is why is this wire not rated to 200c like the other wires in the stove?

I would ask the dealer for a warranty replacement, but the reason for this should be determined. You want to make sure that this is the problem and not a symptom of another problem. It may be a bad crimping of connections in the plug or its receptacle. If the motor is defective and placing an unusual load. By all means examine ALL wiring on the stove carefully or have the dealer inspect it.

BeGreen said:
I would ask the dealer for a warranty replacement, but the reason for this should be determined. You want to make sure that this is the problem and not a symptom of another problem. It may be a bad crimping of connections in the plug or its receptacle. If the motor is defective and placing an unusual load. By all means examine ALL wiring on the stove carefully or have the dealer inspect it.

This is the main power cord the would plug into a wall outlet. I did inspect the entire harness and this was the only problem. I repaired it by shortening the cord and putting on a new connector. The wires in the picture are black mostly due to the stove paint from the factory. They must paint the stoves after the wires are installed.
For the extra $1 or so you would think they would use the higher temperature wire.

Sorry for the rant.

Just thought this would be a good example of why you should inspect your stove every year.

If it is a matter of the wire simply overheating from the radiant heat, which I suspect it is, you can wrap some insulation around it at the stove end. If, on the other hand, BG is right, which he could well be as he is a smart man, depending on the size of the electrical load on the wire plus the radiant heat impinging on the wire, wrapping the insulation around the power cord might help speed the deterioration of the insulation.

The insulation missing right at the connector signals me to be on the lookout for other issues. Could be stove heat, but that seems unlikely. If this was on another type of appliance other than a stove, an overload would be the first thing I would be looking for. But it may have been that someone at the factory that made the plug did not insert the wire into the crimp correctly. If that is the case, shortening the lead and installing a new connector is the right solution. But keep an eye on it and run the fan for an hour or two and check that connector for warmth. If it remains cool, then it's fine.

I will definitely be keeping my eye on it.
Maybe I'll jump the snap disc and do as you said to rule out any other possible causes.

Most woodstove blowers draw about an amp.. Check your blower nameplate amps and if possible borrow an Amprobe and check how much current your blower is drawing.. If it is stable and at or under nameplate rated amperage then you're OK from an electrical load standpoint.. If your blower and/or wiring is exposed to excessive heat the result will be inulation breakdown.. What concerns me is the discoloration of the copper in your pic.. Be sure to verify all the above and if necessary hire a competant electrician to ensure your electrical is safe.. Be 100% sure your stove makes a solid connection to the blower housing and that it is grounded or your stove could become electrified (a GFCI outlet would enhance your safety too for low cost).. Not trying to scare you just make you aware..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.