LOPI LEYDEN ANY NEW INFO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing

Jul 26, 2007
I think that I'm ready to buy, I'm leaning towards the lopi leyden. Does anyone have any new info or comment on why or why not buy. I think that Isle Royal is going to be to big for my 1800 sq home. I just hope that lopi is honest about the sq footage that the leyden will heat. I believe that the 18hr burn time and the 73,000 btu's is unobtainable with this stove. So I nervous about there claim to the 2,000 sq ft heating compacity. Any comments?

Fishing

Don't have one, but looked at one and the only problem I saw was the bypass. It seemed to want to close too easily. I barely touched the handle and it slamed down. Maybe it was just that one stove or it was out of whack somehow. It is a nice looking stove, and the dealer said they can get a 12 hr burn out of her with good hardwood. 18 is stretching it. In fact I would reduce most manufacturers specs by 20-30% for the real world.

the Avalon Version is shipping now.
they have made some improvments. Basicly used the Lopi version as a Test run LOL

Not to bust you enthusiasm but the lopi leyden licenced the same Horrizontal down draft technology used By many manufactures The Harman oak wood and
all everburn stoves use the same technology. Which do you feel more confortable with, the latest company to licence it, or the company that developed it and has employed simillar technology the past 30 years. Me I go with what is tried true proven and time tested plus really made in USA At a world class foundry. My wood burning experience should be predictiable and not be the test guinie pig approach. But that might just be me a little less adventureous than you may be after all I'm a bit serious about burning 35 plus years of doing so I want predictiable results
I don't want to use oil. Everyday I can look east and solute my middle finger in the direction of middle east OPEC nations and smile I bought American Made and supported American Manufacturing Jobs. Freak the Chinese and imports I'm a true American

Elk,

little heavy dude. I noticed that your a building inspector/builder what brand of tools do you use. Where do your nails come from? The USA is a place that I cherish and will hold my patriotism true. But what american corp company is truely concerned about the little people? very few. You must hold stock in the oil companies. The people from our local vc dealship were irrogant, pushy and rude. sound familiar?

Calling Shane to the front desk... calling Shane.

fishing, the reports for the Leyden so far have been promising. Some of the very earliest units that had a few issues, but that appears to have been quickly corrected by Lopi. All the everburn stoves (VC, Lopi, and Harman) burn hot in the back. Be sure you have plenty of clearance to combustibles there. There is another top-loader that pre-dates the everburn technology, it's the Quadrafire Isle Royale. It's clearances are tighter than the above mentioned stoves. You'll find some happy owners of that stove on the forum as well.

Here's an earlier report on the stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6568/

Just received my First set of brochures and info on the Avalon Arbor.
I like the looks of the stove.
but not impressed with the clearances.

Looking at it you need 14" from the Back of the stove to combustibles with double wall pipe
The stove is 23" deep + 18" for front hearth clearance that puts your hearth out at
55". Most stoves you can get away with a standard 48" hearth pad.

Im curious about the slide out ash pad.
When you pull out the ash pan does Ash fall on the hearth?
Im thinking because there will nothing under the Ash dump when you pull the ash pan out.

Attachments

• ashpan.jpg
    ashpan.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 845
fishing said:
Elk,

little heavy dude. I noticed that your a building inspector/builder what brand of tools do you use. Where do your nails come from? The USA is a place that I cherish and will hold my patriotism true. But what american corp company is truely concerned about the little people? very few. You must hold stock in the oil companies. The people from our local vc dealship were irrogant, pushy and rude. sound familiar?

remember the old style nail kegs well when he passed away I scoffed up a bout 10 of these They were manufactured in Dedham MA. I still have a few kegs left so common 8D 6D and 16D
Were made in America. Gun nails and galvies The steel comes from here, but manufactured in China.

As is all door hinges and nobs all now made in China including Baldwin and Stanely.

I still have to make a living and use what is available If I had a choice I would use USA made In stove manufacturing there are still Made in USA HJarman Englander and VC I know for sure
And there are others. Expand that to made in North America why exclude our familly to the north. Nothing I said was un true I know I saw it in person for myself along with Fellow member
goose I posted a plant tour video that you can see for yourself. What rings true is American manufacturing pride, that companies like Englander are proud to be.

Just as any profession there are good dealers and some not so good some good carpenters and illegals doing the work. Some ok but so far the quality is sub par
from my inspections observations. And is is very hard to explain a plan or discuss code issues when no Habla English

All my stocks are tied into Companies Like cisco systems Nortel no oil company stocks here Plus after financing Cornell Wheaton and Villanova there is little left to invest and a SEpt wedding

I have no stock in anything concerning the hearth industry.

I was my point to point other alternatives stoves using the exact licenced technology that are also top loading Harman Oakwood also is within this category And made in USA
Plus a quality company and quality product. In no way is the Leyden a bad stove, but quite attractive whith a decent manufacturer to back it up It has the short list of features That would be on my list If I were in the market

All these stoves with this technology are going to have large rear clearances. The secondary burn chamber is located in the back and it can get up to 1400 degrees in there..

Fishing I may go tonight but it is so hot here I may skip going

I have a similar six ze stove firebox wise even with 30 years burning experience and wood seasoned 2 years in advance I never reached 12 hours of heat. Reality till you bring that stove over 450 griddle mount thermo there is no productive heat, From 450 to 600 that stove emits 100% more heat Productive heat my deffinition of over 400 degrees griddle top 8 hours is the norm after that there is not enough firebox size to get any more out of the load. I supose if yon counts the time the stove rises above ambient temps 12 hours may be possible but little heat under 400 griddle top temps No productive heat. This is not my stove is better than yours, this is from years of experience of what to realistically achieve for x vollume firebox

Fishing I have tools dating back to the 1820's handed down to me none were made in China all kinds of molding planes My grand father's tools hand saws tha are so well made the steel is far superior to any thing sold in Home depot. I have many Miller Falls tools that were made here in Western MA I still on occasion will use a miller falls miter box Most of my modern tools are Makitas Milwalkee PorterCable. With my old planes I was able to hand cut replacement moldings in a home in Weston Ma last year they Videoed it for the historic comission. I litterally have 4 old wooded tool boxes full with antuque tools. All made in USA most in New England If one doubt me I can try to take photos to publish offering proof

I just did the Figures for a MIN hearth pad size of the NEW travis cast iron stoves.
with 18" in front

Corner hearth pad would have to be
68.5 to the front.
and the way we have our hearth made up it would have to be 58.5 across the side walls. to make the 68.5 from the corner with a 27" wide clip at the front.

I was looking at the product comparison they sent me

looks like it has everything the VC and Harmon Top loading has
2.3 C fire box

they say 12 - 18 hour burn time. VC shows 9 and Harmon shows 12

Blower option. None on Harmon

Travis and Harmon have about the same EPA rateing (2.4) but for some reason the VC shows ( .7 WOW that is as low as a pellet stove)

Travis is the lightest of all of them at 375 lb.

Travis and Harmon have 6" vent that saves you money.

21" log on Harmon and Travis 20" on VC

I just dont get the BTU's the fireboxes are all about the same but
Travis shows 73,100 ????????????
Harmon shows 42,000
VC shows 40,000

Can someone explain this to me why Travis shows over 30,000 btu's more with about the same size box??????
Jotul Oslo show the same kind of thing 70,000 BTU with a 2.87 box
But all of them are showing around a 2,000 sq foot heating capacity.
I just dont get it.

Vc told Goose and I they have achieved in their burn lab recorded 125 k BTUs for the defiant. It may have to be loaded every hour and flat out full draft but it can be done..

This is one of the first questions we asked VC and We were told that their figures were set more in line for home usage.. Realistically what to expect using cord wood.

We then asked how other companies had sush large descrepancies A smile came over cheif opperations officer as we headed to the black board and he explained what Vc does and what other companies publish X BTUS for X fire box size is the same. The only difference is how effecient the stove burns the secondary smoke the more effecient the more heat and the longer the burn time. that is about the only variable.

The .7 Gph is not a miss print .ITs that this manufacturer has fine tuned secondary combustion. These are test recorded and reconized by the EPA Not made up manufactures claims but actaull recorded results colleccted in filters What this tells me 2.4 is very clean but there is room for improvement. Remember this manufacturer has had 45 years perfecting the horizontal burn
They just did not arive there a couple years ago. All their cat stoves use this technology and have for many years.

they too claim to be able to take a 20" log but at the gathering last week I explained and demostrated the 20 " logs only fit on the bottom top loading and the the top logs to tilt them in are more like 16" unless one uses front door loading then maybe larger splits can be loaded one has to remove the andirons to do this Really these are top load stoves.

BTW there is a tested and approved 6" flue collar option but if using one, the opendoor fire screen option is not certified for usage

For me the choice was easy I found a stove used two seasons s in perfect condition for $500. Had it been a Harman or Leyden it would be sitting on my hearth. I also learned the benifits of Cat combustion. I had a new everburn sitting in my shed for 6 months I could bave burned any time but Why mess witha situation I have perfected. I would opt for a cat combustor version every time. Why wait for the stove to get up to 1000 fire box temps to burn of secondary smoke particles Mine all it takes is 380 degrees and I start burning particles ec xtracting more usable heat and prolonging burn times this also means less polutants exiting my chimney. 5 0% of polutants are released at kindling stage of burning and reloading what it I can burn off most of
those ploutants? Now there is another stainless steel combustor that has lowered the light off temps another 100 degrees Even more smoke partical to convert into heat and not exiting my chimney.. Honest truth it burns so clean I can no longer smell Cherry wood burning in the Combustor mode In fact there is no smell no smoke just heat plums if you look close enough All this for $500 plus a new after market cat combustor and I sold the 3 year old resolute for $800 I call that a fair exchange.

This is a discussion The stove you buy will be the right one for you I told you how I came about mine and I know deals like this are few and far between I do not need a dealer doing warranty work I realize there is a risk factor one I can handle but does not work for others. This is to be a realistic discussion so that all learn a thing or two. The best thing that happened we I got more sleep no more getting up during the weepre dawn hours to load a stove so it was warm when my wife got ready for work. The stove is so easy to opperate my wife has taken a much larger share of the responsibility. Smokeless Top loading is such a convience set the cat and forget the stove will run itself till the wood is exhausted at the settings you leave it

No more constant tinkering with it like all past stoves and productive heat the entire 8 hours Then again all venting situations are different as is the wood quality or species Your milage may vary

One other consideration I failed to mention, in the bipass Combustor mode, you are not going to see flaming fire works. You will see a red glow and flickering flames.

This is the nature of the beast. No rolling secondary burns some gassification flare ups after reloads but a stead glowing red burn. Really not secondary air tubes fire work display. It ain;t going to happen

Burned a Leyden last year it's a nice stove. I think Elk is being a little harsh on Lopi. They have one of the largest stove manufacturing facilities in the USA. Half a million square ft. of American workers building stoves. It is my understanding that castings are outsourced to China. I understand not outsourcing them to VC that's a competitor. At any rate Travis industries is a stand up company from everything that I could see from dealing with them for 8 years. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the VC product either, sold those for 8 years too. They're solid stoves.
The Avalon version looks awesome and is one that I'm considering heavily to go in my own home.

18 hour burn time out of a 2.3 cuft firebox? NFW! My stove has a 1.8 cuft fire box, and I can get maybe 7-8 hours if I'm burning large chunks of solid elm or oak. Actually, I'm a serious skeptic of any burn times in excess of about 10 hours. Wood burns at a specific rate, and if the firebox is at temp... the wood will burn. Larger firebox will get more burn time, but mostly you get more heat.

Warren said:
Wood burns at a specific rate, and if the firebox is at temp... the wood will burn. Larger firebox will get more burn time, but mostly you get more heat.

True dat. No magic involved.

Of course unless it is soapstone. Then the heat eases down the hall and is stored in the broom closet until it is needed. It is a smooth even heat, ya see.

Gee, I always wondered why my broom closet was so warm. Like Warren I'm skeptical about that 18 hour burn time and the Blaze King 40 hr burn. Maybe it's all about the amount of air that comes in the stove. Secondary air can't be controled on most non cats, so they suffer shorter burn times but burn hotter. Do the new Everburn type stoves have 1 air intake like a cat? The firebox on the Leyden isn't much bigger than mine and is suppose to burn like a cat stove. So maybe they just count burn time til the last live coal under a pile of ash is out? Hell, if they do it that way I can claim 24 hr burn times instead of 12.

The Avalon version is pretty nice looking. Is this the same unit that won a Vesta at this years HPBA?? I thought I saw it in Hearth & Home magazine as one of the winners, but I thought it was a pellet stove?

I received my first 2 Avalon Arbors This week and put one on the floor.
So far I like it but some things Im skeptical about. Like how well the top lid seals.

Heavy MFer. Kind of auckword to move around. Dont have a way to burn one at this time.
Afraid to put burn wood stove in our showroom for the laws in my area say one wood burning unit per House. (including Pellet)
I have 2 pellet stoves burning now and dont want to get busted by the smoke police.

Rod,

What is the MSRP on the Arbor and/or the Spokane?

I looked around but couldn't find anything.

the only time I had a problem with the toploading door on the Leyden was when I got greedy and crammed too much wood in. I've been out of the loop for a while but when I left in May The Leyden was selling around 1950.00 for black and 2k+ for enamel brown.

Burn-1 said:
Rod,

What is the MSRP on the Arbor and/or the Spokane?

I looked around but couldn't find anything.

This is out of the Travis Price list California list price.
Most dealers add $45-$100 for shipping.

$1,829.00 matt black
$2,140.00 Enamel Antique willow or Majolica Brown.

The spokane is
Spokane 1250 is $1002.00 plus Leg or Pedestal Choice
Spokane 1750 is $1297.00 with plain black steel legs THEY LOWERED THE PRICE THIS YEAR

hearthtools - some pics please. Lets see if a Vesta winner looks as good in the real world as it does in the magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.