Lopi Leyden Auger removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Nugget

Jul 2, 2008
So. ME
Where do I start? Auger is making a strange high pitch whine noise. It is possible that there is some string wrapped around it after my son decided to put a whistle in the hopper about a month ago. It has recently started making noise when the auger turns. Do I remove the cover in the hopper to get at the auger? or do i remove the motor and auger from the rear of the stove?

Take off the cover in the hopper, then disconnect the motor from the auger shaft. Should be able to pull it right out i believe. make sure you have hi temp silicone to seal the cover back down with, and let it dry for a while before refilling the hopper.

Hi pitch whine usually means that one of the nylon spacers on the stator shaft of the auger motor has a bunch of dirt and dust in it. Remove the two bolts that hold the stator cap on and clean it out with some WD40 and then wipe it all off with some dry rags, reassemble and your squeak should be gone.

Wood heat stoves, you are correct. It was the brass bushing. I never could get the motor off the auger. I took off the set screw and pulled. Tried to get the whole assembly to slide out the back of The stove, but could't get it out. I ended up putting some wd40 on the bushing and it seems quieter for now, but this will just attract dust. any ideas on a better fix?, and how do I get the motor off the auger.

I did take off the stator and cleaned that while I was in there, but figured out that wasn't the problem when I ran the motor without the set screw and it didn't make any noise.

Wood Nugget said:
Wood heat stoves, you are correct. It was the brass bushing. I never could get the motor off the auger. I took off the set screw and pulled. Tried to get the whole assembly to slide out the back of The stove, but could't get it out. I ended up putting some wd40 on the bushing and it seems quieter for now, but this will just attract dust. any ideas on a better fix?, and how do I get the motor off the auger.

I did take off the stator and cleaned that while I was in there, but figured out that wasn't the problem when I ran the motor without the set screw and it didn't make any noise.

i thought it was just an allen headed set screw-- it might mention it in the svc manual, i can email you a copy,
pm me:
model and email address

the solution is to get a new auger end plate from the local Lopi dealer..

Status
Not open for further replies.