Lopi Leyden Blower shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MACD

Sep 13, 2011
Mass.
Having this problem with my Leyden - blower shuts down on med-high settings. Have read about possible snap disk problems, but would like to try the cleanup of the convection blower and brass fitting first, since this seems to have helped some folks. Thoughts welcomed.

How do I access the convection blower and brass fitting? I have a pic of the convection blower from lopi stoves (http://www.lopistoves.com/LopiPelle...den_Maintenance/lopilLeyden_main.html#exhaust)

- but it does not indicate how to access it. Is it under the back panel?

Thanks.

I'm surprised they don't have complete instructions in your owners manual. I have an older Lopi FoxFire and my manual has easy to read instructions to follow when accessing the convection blower. I will say it can be a pain in the ass on my model even with the clear instructions. I've found my convection blower doesn't get that dirty and so I only clean it every other year (keep in mind that I only burn about 50 bags of pellets per year). My exhaust blower gets cleaned twice per season minimum, however. It's fairly easy to access but can be a pain to reconnect to my chimney. I find that despite the pain in doing so, a clean exhaust blower really improves the performance of the stove. You may want to contact your dealer to see if they have any additional literature or suggestions on cleaning the convection blower. Good luck.

I've taken mine out and so has member Dr_Drum. I'm not sure what brass fitting you are referring to. I took mine out because the oil ports were on the bottom. I turned the motor around so they are on the top.

1. Unplug stove
2. Take side panels off
3. Access from the left side of stove
4. The convection blower is right there. Remove the two electrical connectors near the harness (blue ones)
5. Look in where it attaches to the stove. Take out the 4 bolts.
6. slide out blower

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58796/

Thanks for the feedback and link, I appreciate it. There is brass barb fitting that is screwed into the combustion blower box and apparently it becomes packed soild with ash.

Thanks again.

MACD said:
Thanks for the feedback and link, I appreciate it. There is brass barb fitting that is screwed into the combustion blower box and apparently it becomes packed soild with ash.

Thanks again.

Yes it's on the right side above the "Combustion" blower. I thought you were talking about the "Convection" room blower from your first post.

My mistake - sorry. Maybe you can provide a bit of education here.

As I understand it, on the Leyden there is an exhaust blower on the right side of the stove, (I have cleaned it) and the convection blower is accessed from the left side. Where is the combustion blower and do you think either of these blowers or the brass fitting becoming packed with ash could cause blower shut down to the point where nothing comes out of the heat tubes? I have cleaned the stove thorougly otherwise.

Thanks again for your help.

If the motor itself has its ventilation blocked, it could be overheating and shutting down to protect itself. There is often a thermal switch in the motor itself that shuts the motor off if it gets too hot. I use compressed air to blow through my motors after I remove them. A lot of dust gets in there, so I make sure to do it outside.

The Combustion Blower is the Exhaust Blower. Your Convection Blower is the Room Air Blower.

If your having issues getting to the brass fitting you could remove the hose from the vacuum switch and blow compressed air through the hose. You should hear the air hissing in the stove housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.