1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lopi Leyden combustor question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by milliburner, Dec 3, 2012.

1. milliburner

milliburner Member

Loc:
    Magic City, Northern Maine
    After seeing what I thought was a piece of metal in my combustion box in the rear of the stove, I have a new combustor here and have removed the old one. The piece that looked like metal is actually a piece of the combustor brick that broke off the inside.

My question now is, with the combustor out, there is a square hole in the rear most part of the stove that I can look through and see the floor. Along the seem directly behind the combustor brick some of the stove cement came out when I ran my stove vac through. Is it important for that seem to be cemented with a 1 1/2 x 1 inch hole there anyway?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. milliburner

milliburner Member

Loc:
    Magic City, Northern Maine
    Another question... of the three bolts that hold the rear bricks in place, two of them broke. By mustering all the patience I have, i was able to drill them out, run a tap in the holes to clean them up and get some new bolts. They are just 1/4-20. I only have grade 8 here. Would stainless be a better way to go? Im thinking if I had to replace the combustor after one year, chances are I will have to do it again. Id like to put in bolts that I will have a better chance of getting out without breaking next time. My thoughts are, grade 8 and stainless will be a real PIA to drill out should I have to. But grade 5 might be more prone to breaking. What happens to stainless bolts after they have gone through countless heat cycles?
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Have you talked to the dealer you got it from? He might be of some assistance, since it's only a year old.