Lopi Leyden Double Wall Pipe adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johndjr

May 27, 2015
nj
Hi, I am having an issue with the installing the double wall adapter to my lopi leyden. The adapter i bought is a DuraVent 6" DVL adapter with no Damper (http://www.northlineexpress.com/6-dvl-adapter-section-no-damper-6dvl-ad-6733.html). Anyone with a lopi leyden probably knows how the flue is with the outside not being exactly flat so this adapter can sit on easily. It has a bump in the front of the outside of the flue so when you try to put this adapter on they are lots of play. The inside part that goes into the flue doesn't exactly fit well and doesn't tighten up because it can't go down the full distance due to this awkward shaped flue.

I know you shouldn't cut double wall piping, but would there be a problem if I was to cut the outer part of the pipe? So I would be able to slide the entire adapter down into the flue. I would only cut around where the bump is now the entire pipe.

104473.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to visualize this bump. If it's minor and only say 1/2" high then cutting our a small area to clear the bump would probably be ok.

Good point. On some stoves there are nubs, a bar, or screw heads on the interior of the flue collar. In that case the inner lining may need to be notched to clear.

i have just added a picture of the diagram of the leyden, I'll take an actual picture tomorrow. If you noticed the top view and front of where the flue is, if pushing the adapter down, the outside of the adapter hits the front of the outer part of the flue before it tightens inside the flue. trimming the inside of the adapter will not work since its the outside of the adapter I am having issues with hitting the outside of the flue

The advice for the inner collar is just generic in case you run into issues there.

i currently have a single wall into the flue. would it be ok to just cut a little above the single wall pipe to slide this adapter on. this would give it the tight fit. want to make sure it's OK for inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.