Lopi Leyden - Exhaust blower shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwstamp

Dec 23, 2012
Hi - I have a 2006 Lopi Leyden.. twice now the exhaust blower has stopped working (after operating just fine for a few hours) and of course, the room quickly fills up with smoke. After the first time I made sure to thoroughly clean around the exhaust fan area... worked fine for a couple of weeks but then stopped again. Not sure if it is related but I have also noticed that the auger has stopped dropping pellets a couple times recently as well... both times I have reached in to dig out what I thought was a clogged auger and reset the cycle... but now that I think of it, both times the exhaust fan stopped about an hour later... . Any thoughts? I am planning on conducting a thorough cleaning around the exhaust motor.

Hi - I have a 2006 Lopi Leyden.. twice now the exhaust blower has stopped working (after operating just fine for a few hours) and of course, the room quickly fills up with smoke. After the first time I made sure to thoroughly clean around the exhaust fan area... worked fine for a couple of weeks but then stopped again. Not sure if it is related but I have also noticed that the auger has stopped dropping pellets a couple times recently as well... both times I have reached in to dig out what I thought was a clogged auger and reset the cycle... but now that I think of it, both times the exhaust fan stopped about an hour later... . Any thoughts? I am planning on conducting a thorough cleaning around the exhaust motor.
My Lopi did the same thing & having 2 golden retreivers, it dawned on me that i had never pulled the back off the stove in 4 years of burning, after a thorough cleaning of tons of dog hair , she runs great

You don't mention whether you have also leaned the vent piping? If that is full or clogged with ash your exhaust blower may shut down. Just a thought. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Hi all...it's been about a month and so far so good with one caveat. My approach was to clean everything head to toe. The vent pipe was a little clogged and to Muss' point - years of dog and cat fur had made a nest in the back. Plus I recleaned the exhaust fan area...My concern is that...after the stove has been running for awhile... I hear what I believe is the exhaust fan stalling... it will do that a few times...the flame will waiver then it seems to pick up again nad run normally. Usually this happens when running full blast for an hour or two. At this point - I am not comfortable leaving the stove running without supervision. I have heard that the logic boards on these stoves may be problematic...or should I just swap out the exhaust fan?

Thanks!!

Maybe you should reach out to Travis Industries at this point with an email describing your problem. They may have some insight or recommendations on your situation. When you say you run it on full blast, do you mean you have the heat all the way on max (2 red lights) + the Fan on high? I'm curious why you would run the heat that high? I have found that I don't need to run mine that high. The highest I have needed to run it is on med high (two yellow lights) - but then only on the occasion that my stove ran out of pellets and I needed to get the house warmed up quickly.

Maybe you should reach out to Travis Industries at this point with an email describing your problem. They may have some insight or recommendations on your situation. When you say you run it on full blast, do you mean you have the heat all the way on max (2 red lights) + the Fan on high? I'm curious why you would run the heat that high? I have found that I don't need to run mine that high. The highest I have needed to run it is on med high (two yellow lights) - but then only on the occasion that my stove ran out of pellets and I needed to get the house warmed up quickly.

Well...interesting that you ask about running on high. When I bought the stove the guys who installed (Dean's Stoves) said always, always run on high to ensure the cleanest burn...less issues with vent pipe build-up, etc... so that is what I have always done. Not sure if it was valid advice or not... I have not heard of Travis Industries...but I will do some research. Thanks!!

Travis Industries is the maker of our Lopi stoves. I also bought mine from Dean's Stove in 2008, I don't remember them saying to burn on high all the time. That just wastes pellets on warmer days, no? I do agree on the 'cleaner' burn when running on higher heat, when I run mine on med-low to low (1-2 green dots) it seems that my glass gets very dirty and quickly along with more ash. If I run it on med or med-high it seems to burn off the accumulated ash in the windows and I have less ash. But I'm not going to keep it at a higher temp just have cleaner glass while feeding more pellets than I need. Do you still deal with Dean's

Status
Not open for further replies.