Lopi Leyden glass stained brown/black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcm05

Oct 31, 2006
Hi all. I dont clean the glass as often as i should and hence it has developed tough to clean stains on the glass. Stains are dark brown/black and wont come off with damp paper towels which is what I normally use to clean the glass with. Other times i use glass cleaner to really clean it maybe every other month. The stains it has developed only seem to come off if i scrape it with a fingernail. Can i use a scotchbrite pad to clean it with soap and water? Will that damage the glass? Thanks.

I use the pellet ash & it's the best thing for stains that have been left on for days & gotten dark brown. Also, the lower the heat setting, the more the window "dirties" up. I've kept my stove all week at low medium & burn great pellets & haven't cleaned my windows in 2 weeks. What a difference from the Athen pellets. Good luck, Muss

The Rutland conditioning glass cleaner really takes those black and brown stains off. It does work. Just use liberally and keep scrubbin'. I think its just Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner with some kind of wax added. Its much cheaper at a Tractor Supply then Ace hardware for some reason.

I use a single edge razor blade if there is a caked on deposit of black ash in the corners of the glass. Used carefully, will not scratch. Scrape one way, not back and forth.

Normally I use one of two products by Rutland, "White Off" or "Conditioning Glass Cleaner". Both work great and, as mentioned, leave a silicone film that helps keep the glass clean and makes it easier to clean.

Available through NorthlineExpress.com, Ace hardware, The Home Depot, or TSC.

Ranger

If it's a brown, sticky film it's usually a result of running the stove with the damper open too far... if you need to have the damper open that far to have the stove run it means you need to clean the stove....and not just a casual vac job but clean it in every nook and crannie...

Thanks for the great replies. Will give all the suggestions a try. May very well have been the low heat setting as it has been mild here in central CT so far. Not sure I've had it above the lower-medium setting yet. Also, I usually keep the damper just under full open as it seems to keep the burn pot cleaner that way. I just had a guy from the stove shop deeply clean it three weeks ago. I thought I had done a decent job doing it myself, but i guess not. He showed me what to do next time though, but was an expensive cleaning lesson. Stove only has under 4 tons burned in it total since new last december.

jtcm05 said:
Thanks for the great replies. Will give all the suggestions a try. May very well have been the low heat setting as it has been mild here in central CT so far. Not sure I've had it above the lower-medium setting yet. Also, I usually keep the damper just under full open as it seems to keep the burn pot cleaner that way. I just had a guy from the stove shop deeply clean it three weeks ago. I thought I had done a decent job doing it myself, but i guess not. He showed me what to do next time though, but was an expensive cleaning lesson. Stove only has under 4 tons burned in it total since new last december.

All of the cleaning "remedies" listed above are good. My personal fav is the Magic Eraser, but a damp paper towel or rag dipped into the fine stove ash works great too.

Word of caution....I wouldn't use the Scotch Brite....it may scratch the glass badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.