Lopi Leyden....might trade mine in for one.....advice on this needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Hey guys,

This might sound crazy but I really, really like the Lopi Leyden, I have visited the local Lopi store and I am impressed.

Here are my concerns
Top loading, I like this feature but I just worried about smoke coming out ( I have 19 feet of pipe so it should not be a problem, just wanted to see).
The actually size of wood that people put in it for a nice overnight burn (I can put huge splits in my Avalon Olympic but I am cutting most of my wood no more than 18 inches)
How's the heat? My house is around 1900 sq ft, but I have an insert to in the house so this stove will not have to heat the house by itself if need be
How long of a burn can you get, it says 12, I would be happy with 8-10.
Anymore advice would be great

I know again this sounds crazy to trade in my Avalon Olympic (that I have only had for 1 year) for a Lopi Leyen but last year I wanted the Lopi but thought it would not be good enough for larger splits. The local store said they would trade mine in and give me a deal (they sell Lopi and Avalon). I think the Lopi sells for around 2,400 and my Olympic with blower ash pan, and gold door sells for around 3,300 so I should be OK with the trade in. Hopefully I won't have to pay that much for the trade, I plan on getting the blower too (another 275 dollars)

Thanks for the help Lopi Leyden owners....

I wonder what would happen with the tax credit if you traded it in? would you get 30% back on the difference? My guess is yes. It might be best to sell your stove outright, get more cash for it, then take full tax credit on the new stove... just a thought.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I wonder what would happen with the tax credit if you traded it in? would you get 30% back on the difference? My guess is yes. It might be best to sell your stove outright, get more cash for it, then take full tax credit on the new stove... just a thought.

not a bad idea, might do that thanks

Heard anything about the Leyden M.S.Guy?

Welcome back Ryan. Good to see ya guy!

I'm still not convinced on these new down draft stoves, I've just heard too many complaints on stalling and how draft sensitive they are. I think they still need to work out some bugs in these stoves.

Todd said:
I'm still not convinced on these new down draft stoves, I've just heard too many complaints on stalling and how draft sensitive they are. I think they still need to work out some bugs in these stoves.

Yah I agree, from what I have read these stoves take some time and I am used to my care free Avalons, Summits, and Quadra Fire's. I just wanted to get some feedback on this stove. From old posts that I have read these stoves burn a little hotter than I am used, long burns seem nice though :)

If it's a long burn your after look for a cat stove.

JFK, how tall is the flue on your Avalon? That's an impoprtant consideration. Top loaders are nice, but if you aren't in the flue height sweet spot for a downdraft stove, it may take a damper or other fudging to get the best out of the stove. Visually I like this stove a lot, but low maintenance stoves have an attraction that can trump looks. Even my House Beautiful wife has to agree that an easy to use and maintain stove in the long run is a thing of beauty.

BeGreen said:
JFK, how tall is the flue on your Avalon? That's an impoprtant consideration. Top loaders are nice, but if you aren't in the flue height sweet spot for a downdraft stove, it may take a damper or other fudging to get the best out of the stove. Visually I like this stove a lot, but low maintenance stoves have an attraction that can trump looks. Even my House Beautiful wife has to agree that an easy to use and maintain stove in the long run is a thing of beauty.

18-19 total feet of pipe, I can easily add more or take off 3 foot sections. I tend to agree that maybe I should stay with my Avalon, I tinker enough with that stove (at least my wife thinks so :) )

BeGreen said:
Welcome back Ryan. Good to see ya guy!

Thanks BG, its good to be back! i have missed this place!.

JFK, looks like you got the stove experts on this one, i am a long shot away from being a leyden expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.