Lopi Leyden noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nksdad2007

Dec 24, 2009
Central, Maine
I have a leyden that was installed in December of 2008. Recently it has started to make a slight hum when the auger is turning. Well, last night it became more than a hum. It is a rather loud "buzz" noise. Can anyone tell me if i have just missed something in my cleaning that is bothering it or is my auger or auger motor about to go? Thanks for any help you can give. This forum has been so helpful id learning my stove.

When looking at the auger motor through the back panel I can't hear it over the blower even when I can see it moving. I would try vacuuming out the auger tube, then start it up without any pellets. Try to isolate where the noise is coming from. It could be the gear box?
Mike -

could be the transformer on the motor going south: I would also check and make sure the rubber bumpers are still mounted to the cradle that holds the auger. If they are missing or flat, then the metal motor casing will contact the metal cradle, causing extra vibrations.

My stove was making a humming/ringing noise when the auger turned and I could not figure it out. I finally found the source of the noise was a wire tie holding some wires together. Every time my auger turns there is a little fan that turns and one of the ends of the wire tie was hiting the fan when it turned.

I talked with my dealer this morning and the mentioned too much sawdust in the auger. I will check that out and the other suggestions. Thanks for all of the help.

Last week the dealer replaced the auger motor and all was good for a few hours. then the noise started back again. Today they came back and found that the auger shaft and the brass bushing it goes through were seized together. They had to replace them, the back plate and the mounting bracket for the motor. the motor had been trying so hard to turn the auger that it had bent the bracket. The guy showed me on the bracket where the motor had dug right into the metal. Keeping my finger crossed that all is well with it now.

Good info. I'm going to make sure I check that at the end of season cleaning. Thanks for the update and good luck with the new parts.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.