Lopi Leyden Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Anybody run their stove on the low or low low ? In the 4 years i've had mine, i never have . I normally run at low medium & find till it gets & stays in the 20's that it's even too much & i also run the heat fan on low . Having a broken ignitor , i have to stop it a few times during the day but the last few nights also been leaving it on all night. Just wondering if anyone has had any side effects running on low or low low Thanks folks Muss

Same here with the glass getting dirty quicker, but I do run it on low/low during days like today to keep the house temp stable, temps in high 30's and low 40's, 1,600 sf Cape style home, keeps temps near 68-70. If stove was off temp would fall to 60-62. I have had troubles in the past with keeping the stove lit on low/low, fire would snuff out and pellets would fill up the pot. I seem to have found the right air/fuel mix as I have have not issues yet this year.

Any time i have burned it on low, it gets real dirty. I run it on the second orange light and use a thermostat. when it gets too cold out, just switch it over to manual and leave it going.

I run mine on low all the time. Have found it gets dirty faster and takes a little time to get the air adjusted just right or the fire goes out. I also notice that on the lowest settings it doesn't seem to like the better pellets. (cubex, barefoot, oakies). They cause the burn pot to fill up with ash and clinkers. The lower quality pellets burn great on low, (Maine choice, Pennington, energex Canadian). I don't know if this is particular just to my set up or not. I also run on low/low often 2nd green light and it burns about the same.

Wood Nugget said:
I run mine on low all the time. Have found it gets dirty faster and takes a little time to get the air adjusted just right or the fire goes out. I also notice that on the lowest settings it doesn't seem to like the better pellets. (cubex, barefoot, oakies). They cause the burn pot to fill up with ash and clinkers. The lower quality pellets burn great on low, (Maine choice, Pennington, energex Canadian). I don't know if this is particular just to my set up or not. I also run on low/low often 2nd green light and it burns about the same.

Interesting about high quality pellets not working well on LOW/LOW, I may have to test that out. The issues that I seemed to have were amount of air related?? HMMM. Thanks

Utillitrack, how do the Corinths burn for you? i tried them a few years ago and could not get them to burn right. left clumps of ash in the burn pot until it choked out the fire in about a day or less.

Utilitrack said:
Wood Nugget said:

Interesting about high quality pellets not working well on LOW/LOW, I may have to test that out. The issues that I seemed to have were amount of air related?? HMMM. Thanks

I think it may have to do with the density of the better pellets and the air supply. Maybe I just can't get the right balance of air with the better pellets. I either get clumps and clinkers, or a blown out fire. The lower grade pellets are dirtier, but more forgiving on all heat settings.

nksdad2007 said:
Utillitrack, how do the Corinths burn for you? i tried them a few years ago and could not get them to burn right. left clumps of ash in the burn pot until it choked out the fire in about a day or less.
Hello Nksdad 2007- The Corinths seem to burn fine for me, slighlty less heat then my Spruce Pointes and slightly more ash, but all in all a decent pellet for $220 a ton.

Well folks, gotta tell ya, i burnt all day on 2nd low & it was great & no noticeable dirting of the glass . I'm burnin' Athens softwood . I'm a happy camper . Thanks to everybody that responded. I had been using 1st medium & found myself having to shut it several times during the day,too hot, . Muss

the athens softwood burning good? Been wanting to try them, just haven't gotten to get any yet.

When i first got this stove, all of the ash collected on either side of the burn pot. Lately, it seems to be collecting between the burn pot and the doors, right in the middle. The flame also seems to be leaning towards the door more. It used to be just straight up. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you fix it? I'm thinking it may be the door gasket needs replacing or the exhaust fan motor is going bad.

nksdad2007 said:
When i first got this stove, all of the ash collected on either side of the burn pot. Lately, it seems to be collecting between the burn pot and the doors, right in the middle. The flame also seems to be leaning towards the door more. It used to be just straight up. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you fix it? I'm thinking it may be the door gasket needs replacing or the exhaust fan motor is going bad.

Same thing is happening here. Didn't really put any thought into it until you mentioned it. I do know I get air leaking by the metal ash trap doors because there is a line around the ash trap doors where the ash doesn't collect.

I usually ran my Lopi on medium/low (two green lights) until this year. With the warmer weather I've been running it on low (one green light) and it is doing just fine. Yes, the glass is a little more dirty but the heat seems great.
I have to say that I am burning Oakies and in the past with other brands I could not get it to keep going on low. When it get colder I'll up it a notch or two.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.