Lopi Leyden Thermostat or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
New Leyden installed on 10/10, still working out the bugs. Any experienced opinion welcome. Is installation of the thermostat worthwhile or not? If so should I install the cheap POS one supplied or upgrade? What is the best location to put it, in the room with the stove at a high setting or else where in the house to where you want that room to be? I understand that all homes are laid out differently, but we are all trying to achieve the same goal.

Also any Leyden owners done anything to help the pellets slide in the shallow part of the hopper? I have to push them down in at times, and they get hung up on what appears to be some kind of orange gasket that squeezed through between the upper (shallow hopper) and the steep part of the hopper. Can I carefully cut out his excess foam?

Thanks Marc

Utilitrack,

as for the 'stat, which one you use should be based on what you want the stove to do. If you just want basic 'stat operation (keeps the room(s) one temp when you set it, use the cheap one that came w/ it.

If you want to be able to control it more (up in the morning, down when everyone leaves for the day, back up before anyone gets home, etc), get a better quality programmable one. I bought the Lux PSP511LA for my Astoria stove, and it’s fairly inexpensive ($20-22 online), Energy Star rated, and easy to hook-up and program. Also has a lighted display.

As far as where to place it, I put mine about 20 ft away in the kitchen. I set it for 70, and the LR where the stove is gets to about 72 when the kitchen is 70. I also use a 12" fan to blow (down a hallway leading past the MBR) to circulate the heat, and my back hallway gets to about 68-69 this way.

Attachments

• Lux PSP511LA.jpg
    Lux PSP511LA.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 272
Try the factory one to see it t-stat mode is good for your situation. If you find using a thermostat works well for your application I would upgrade it with set back t-stat.

There is advantages and drawback to t-stats. There are many factors including t-stat placement, what you are trying to heat, floor plan, tightness of house, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.