Lopi Leyden To buy or not to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boydp

Sep 25, 2006
We decided to buy a new wood stove and not install the old Fisher we bought. We are looking at the Lopi Leyden. Dealer says they are getting a 14 hour burn time with their demo. It looks great and seems to fit all our needs. Anyone have one? We are a little leary with it being a new model. Not sure what to do after reading some of the info on this site. Looking for help. We have also looked at the Quadra Fire Cumberland and the Lopi Endeavor. It is going in a 700 Sq ft room with 18ft cathedral ceiling. First floor is 1,900 sq ft. Any info would be appreciated.

Unsure of the stove itself but by looking at the #'s on it the stove might be a little small for you home if burning 24/7 or uses for major/majority heat.
Dont get me wrong ..... It can work and can be done but looks like your going to be running the stove close to max to get your home sf .

If using the stove for extra heat or "add to" heat then the stove should work just fine.

boydp said:
We decided to buy a new wood stove and not install the old Fisher we bought. We are looking at the Lopi Leyden. Dealer says they are getting a 14 hour burn time with their demo. It looks great and seems to fit all our needs. Anyone have one? We are a little leary with it being a new model. Not sure what to do after reading some of the info on this site. Looking for help. We have also looked at the Quadra Fire Cumberland and the Lopi Endeavor. It is going in a 700 Sq ft room with 18ft cathedral ceiling. First floor is 1,900 sq ft. Any info would be appreciated.

What part of the country are you in? I looked at the Leyden, but decided it needed a year or two to work out the bugs before I'd be looking again. The initial run had some issues maybe they've been worked out by now? I would consider the Quad Isle Royale or a PE Summit. Also look at Harman Oakwood or the VC Encore if clearances are not a big issue.

Been burning one since September. Airwash is fixed. Castings look fine to me I have Lopis next to VC's always have. Top loading door hinge can bind a little and design should be altered. All in all not a bad stove. Cranked it up a few times and got great burn times 12-14 hrs on pine/aspen. Awesome control even when completely loaded. It's in there with theVC and Jotuls and shouldn't have a problem heating a 1900 sq. ft. house. It's 70k+ btu's. Also look at teh VC side the Defiant & Encore NC's are awesome stoves adn the cleanest burning to boot.

14 hour burn time on Pine !?!?!?
How big is the fire box ? I'm trying to figure what the BTU per hour would end up being on pine / 14 hours.

14 hour burn time on pine is just unheard of ...........at least to me it is. WOW
most stove at the same gph of emissions with a bigger fire box cant get 8 hour burn times on Oak. hummmmm

EDIT: I found the fire box size . 2.3 cf

We were able to put a few small splits on the fire in the morning and get it going. An Encore can do the same thing. And also note it was a mix of pine and aspen (heavy on aspen)

Status
Not open for further replies.