Lopi Leyden Wood Stove - after a season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been a season now with the Lopi Leyden top-loading wood stove.
We've been 100% wood heat for about 35 years now and like a lot of people who live in the country our wood stoves are a never-ending source of conversation. It is interesting that purchase price never seems to enter into these conversations. My impression when looking at new wood stoves is that all of the top loaders I saw were priced about the same. Rural philosophy runs more toward long term quality than to price. Consistent with that, and communication from the manufacturer is very highly thought of.

Last year when I got the bug (again) to try a new stove we looked at every top loader on the market. The runner-up was the Isle Royale a- which we thought worth going to see even though it was far enough away to require an all day drive. But the dealer was kind enough to fire it up when we got there. In fact, they had been using it for heat for the previous season. Frankly, I wouldn't have minded if we had ended up with that stove. That Isle Royale was a dandy - and came with attractive side wing warmers. But after crawling all over each stove, I concluded that the Lopi had a few undebateable advantages in finish & design. It didn't hurt that Lopi is a smallish US company and I like to support those where the product is close to equal......Although that was probably the least important factor. I only mention it to emphasize how close was the decision.

Having had a lot of wood stoves, I can say that I am impressed with the way the Lopi burns. And that says a lot. It is easy to crank the heat up or turn it down using a combination of draft and damper. For some reason i really will keep a fire going longer than I would have expected.....hours longer. All night burns are the test of a stove and the owner both. A good all night burn doesn't come easy. It requires a good setup, good wood, and most of all the owner's experience. With this stove all night burns are as easy as I've ever seen them. The burn quality versus ash and soot is much better than an old style early 1980's thermostatic Vermont Castings. For burn time this Lopi approaches a pre-WWII Ashley Thermostatic - which was simply the best stove that I have ever seen.

There have been some problems with the Lopi: The most serious one being that gasket around the internal damper door came loose - changing the interior flamepath and making it hard to turn the side damping handle. I also asked the dealer to replace some hinge parts. It became sort of an odd game because each time I asked about some part or piece that I thought could be improved. the manufacturer (Lopi) immediately sent me a complete kit containing every part needed right along with any associated part which had been upgraded. I get the strong impression is that Lopi intends to continue making this stove and they are not at all shy about improving it. Good for them. The improved parts were cleverly engineered to bolt in place of the parts they replaced. Having that philosophy from a manufacturer was a bonus for us.

Like most top loaders the trick to opening the top on the Lopi without letting smoke come into the room is for the fire to be actively burning. Then no smoke escapes. If the fire is only smoldering we either turn it up before going to get the wood or else use the front loading doors. Warning! Don't try a top loading stove unless you want to spoil yourself forever.

So the bottom line is that the Lopi Leyden wood stove is built well, works well, and is well supported. We still like it and would buy the same stove again. I don't see another one that we would prefer - though I would like to try the Royale some day. Lopi's manufacturing support philosophy was a pleasant surprise. While trying various stoves, we found that all modern wood stoves work as well as the best of the vintage stoves - and far better than the common ones. Along with that we also noticed that the modern stoves - at least the better-known names- all seem to be of uniformly higher quality than in the past. Using this one confirms that modern stoves produce less ash along with less soot.
Scotty

Thanks for all the good info. From all the posts on this site it seems Lopi is keyed in on customer service, almost enough alone to recommend their stoves.

Scotty, that is a great writeup on the Lopi Leyden.

That is one of the stoves we seriously considered when we replaced our old stove a year ago. Although they have had some problems, it appears they have been able to address them all and have many satisfied customers. That is good to hear.

It made no difference to us whether we went with a top load or a side load as I can see no real advantage in one over the other. Not sure what other peoples feelings are on this though. All in all, it sounds like you are about as happy with your stove as we are with ours. Lets hope both of our stoves last our lifetimes! (btw, we've burned just a bit longer than you have!)

Thank you Scotty, for your post. I am having my Leyden installed this week. It is good to read such a positive review on the Leyden. My local dealer did inform
me of the early problems with the Leyden and was also happy with the way Lopi engineered the solutions.
This is my first wood stove.(I did burn an early V.C. for 10 years as a kid in my parents home.) I have been checking this site since August and the information is fantastic.
My firewood is protected from the outdoor elements -nice gray in color and well checked.
Thanks- Jim P

Jim P said:
Thank you Scotty, for your post. I am having my Leyden installed this week. It is good to read such a positive review on the Leyden. My local dealer did inform
me of the early problems with the Leyden and was also happy with the way Lopi engineered the solutions.
This is my first wood stove.(I did burn an early V.C. for 10 years as a kid in my parents home.) I have been checking this site since August and the information is fantastic.
My firewood is protected from the outdoor elements -nice gray in color and well checked.
Thanks- Jim P

Jim, I think you will like that stove. Having used a VC as a kid, you are probably already a believer in top loaders. Yed, what you said about the wood reminds me that the wood and the chimney are at least as important to the burning performance as the stove itself. For the last ten years of so I have burned mostly hard seasoned oak blocks about 10" on a side. They are the ends cut off railroad ties to size them.....all before the tie gets creosoted of course. These oak blocks are available locally at a good price.

We are lucky to have a woodlot on our land with some cottonwood & aspen (similar to popular, but harder) as well as lots of pine and fir. For 25 years putting up six cords of wood for the winter was an annual chore at our house, but those oak blocks have kind of spoiled us.

For the stove pipe itself I use and recommend the DuraTech chimney system by Simpson Dura-Vent for the exterior chimney and the Simpson DVL close clearance pipe inside the house. Simpson also makes the piece to transition between the two. I am sure that there are other good chimney systems - but Simpson's is right at the top. It's a good system and good for comparison. I prefer to design the chimney as a wall-thru system that uses their "clean out Tee".

Travis Industries has been good with providing the engineered solutions when asked - but they haven't gone so far as compiling a list of applicable updates to current stove owners. If you take some pictures of your stove and the serial number maybe we can figure out if anything is needed. The mod that manually locks the internal damper plate lock is certainly necessary until Lopi changes the way that plate closes inside the stove.
Good luck on you, scotty

Scotty, I will look for those oak blocks. I am having the dealer install my chimney system. They will be using DuraTeck by Simpson. Going up thru attic with
two 30 degree offset to bring chimney to rear of house. I want the dealer to install so that if I have any stove /draft problems ,they can't blame it my work.
Dealer has been in business 31 years. I trust them. Will post pictures when complete. ( I did make the hearthpad- plywood ,durarock ,slate)
Thanks Jim

Jim P said:
Scotty, I will look for those oak blocks. I am having the dealer install my chimney system. They will be using DuraTeck by Simpson. Going up thru attic with
two 30 degree offset to bring chimney to rear of house. I want the dealer to install so that if I have any stove /draft problems ,they can't blame it my work.
Dealer has been in business 31 years. I trust them. Will post pictures when complete. ( I did make the hearthpad- plywood ,durarock ,slate)
Thanks Jim

Jim, that is an excellent chimney system. I am very impressed with Simpson DuraTech. I think that chimney design is a place where lots of experience takes precedence over lots of theory. There is no detriment in having offsets in the pipe run. In fact, I prefer an offset geometry to a straight vertical run. Having offsets also provides a place for the installer to incorporate one or more of Simpson's a "clean out Tees" into the system. If you can do that you will thank yourself when cleaning time comes.
scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.