Lopi Liberty Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
Howdy - After a lot of great advice from folks on this forum, we decided to scrap the idea of moving our 30-year old Lopi M530 across from the kitchen to the living room, and we sprung for a new Lopi Liberty, which now sits proudly atop a beautifully constructed new brick hearth. We've been burning in it for a couple of months now (primary source of heat for our home), and we're quite pleased with it. The only groan I've got is that the air control (not the bypass on the right side for startup, but the normal operating air control that sticks straight out from the bottom of the stove front) is very "sticky" and difficult to operate, especially with any sort of precision. Any ideas of what I can do to free this thing up a bit and make it a more smoothly operating control? Thanks (for a lot of things)! Rick Booth, Bend Oregon

Fossil, I think I can help you on this one.........I looked at your damper control and it looks almost exactly like mine..if so....... :p

You will need graphite powder from lowes........in the lock section or up front in store.

You will need to remove the plate on the front that holds the damper in.........should be some screws to take the front plate off.........my Avalon (same as Lopi) has 4 screws. You may also have trim around damper rod with two screws holding trim (maybe not), remove this too.

Then you will have access to your damper. There should be "ONE" screw in the upper portion of metal that you will need to back out in order to slide complete damper out of stove. This is simple, turn screw with a pair or pliers or your finger if it is loose counter clock wise.

Once you get this screw out, gently slide entire damper with plates out of stove, try not to move any plates around.

Wipe top and bottom damper plates off with a paper towel, (do not wet).

Wipe inside damper slot on stove all the way to the back using a yard stick with a paper towel wrapped around it with a bit of tape holding it on.

Rub graphite all over plates (top and bottom).

Maybe even sprinkle some graphite on paper towel on yard stick and insert into stove damper slot.......wiggle around.

Reverse assembly...........carefully........DO NOT CHANGE POSITION OF DAMPER PLATES ~! below is why. :ahhh:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10247/

You don't want the damper too smooth or it could be knocked open easily......you want it to have some resistance.

I have had to do this to mine about 3 times in three years.

Robbie

Thanks, Robbie...and thanks for the link to the description of your experience. Very helpful. Rick

Howdy Robbie - I haven't taken it apart yet...stove hasn't been cool enough long enough, as we're both (wife & me) retired, and we keep this stove burning pretty much all day every day and into the night. I looked at the damper after reading your description, and I think my Liberty is actually simpler than yours. Looks like two screws "sideways", one from each side of the front frame, form the outward stop that keeps the damper assembly from coming out. Out against the stops is the damped down position on the Liberty I have, all the way in is wide open. There's no trim or anything in front of that, and looking from underneath, there are no screws or anything accessible. I think that if I simply take out those two screws, I can pull the whole damper assembly out of the stove, clean it up, lubricate it, and reinstall it. Don't really know when I'll get a chance to do that...but we seem to be getting a break in the daytime temps now, so maybe soon. I'll let you know. Again, I appreciate your help. Stay warm, Rick

I'm getting ready to install the used Lopi Liberty I bought and it does have the very sticky air control. Anything I should do while it's still on it's side?
Any other ideas for a fix? Doesn't seem like it should be dismantled once a year for cleaning and lubing, should it?
Going to miss my maintenance free Riteway 2000.
Thanks-

I have noticed this with mine but I am going to live with it for a while. I have the Avalon, same as the Lopi, I think in time it will loosen up a little. I can adjust the stove enough for me to be happy. If I get frustrated with it I will take Robbie's sweet advice and adjust it. I would not let this sway your decision that you made. I simply love the stoves. I wish I had room for a third stove, I would choose a Lopi. Damn nice stove and even though it is the same stove as my Avalon, I love the look with the gold door

Send some pics when you get her burning

Kenny, I think I'd clean it up and lube it just as Robbie described, particularly on a used stove. A little graphite on the door hinge pins and the door latch is a good idea too. How are the gaskets and the fit of the door? Still haven't done mine, as now my stove is all wrapped up in plastic while the house gets remodeled. When I can get to it again, and before I start burning, I'm gonna pull my air control & clean & lube it. I think you'll really like that stove, we love ours. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.