lopi liberty drafting...lack of

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liberty only a few days old and getting use to it. My endeavor hardly ever had this problem. I'd open up the brass door to load (Flue is in wide open position). Fire is roaring. There are still lazy smoke trails that wander into the house. Obvious stench of smoke is now in the house. (GF hates it). My other stove hardly ever did this....any guesses as to why i'm experiencing it now with the liberty? Need to get it fixed. I'm kind of hesitant to load it...like i'm rushing to load the wood now.

thank you

Don't load the stove with a "roaring" fire and you probably won't have any more issues. Try loading when the stove is in the coaling stage at this point you should see very little smoke. My Endeavor was also great on reloads, with my BK I have to be a lot more careful.

I assume you have the bypass open when you're reloading?

well...with the roaring fire, I know there is a strong rush of gases going up the flue...right? I'm getting this lazy smoke...too often. when I'd open the door to load, anyone in the room would notice the smell. With my endeavor, you wouldn't have known...other than the squeeking of the door hinge.

"by pass" or on mine, its call flue gate or something like that. Yes, its open on reload. so its a straight pass through up the chimney.

thanks

My liberty does the same thing. I don't really mind the smoke smell as long as it not alot of smoke. Are you reloading while there is still active wood burning in the stove or do you reload once it has burned to coals. I loaded 4 splits in mine one day before the other wood was fully burned to coals and that thing went absolutely nuclear for about an hour. Lesson learned don't load fresh wood on top a a large coal bed. IF you have to reload before the other wood has turned to charcoal, open the bypass first, then open the air control all the way for about 30 seconds, then slowly open the door.

jj3500 said:
well...with the roaring fire, I know there is a strong rush of gases going up the flue...right? I'm getting this lazy smoke...too often. when I'd open the door to load, anyone in the room would notice the smell. With my endeavor, you wouldn't have known...other than the squeeking of the door hinge.

"by pass" or on mine, its call flue gate or something like that. Yes, its open on reload. so its a straight pass through up the chimney.

thanks

Is your air also open when reloading? When I reload the by-pass is open,the air is open all the way, I crack the door for about 30 seconds then open... been working for us.

Do you have the minimum of 15 feet on the chimney requirements?

chico

I have came to the conclusion that the smoking problem has something to do with the oversized door opening on the liberty.

Open the bypass, open air all the way, open the door alittle then open slowly. Thats I how I do it.

Does the stove "draft" ok other wise? Do fires take off easily and get hot pretty quick?

Could it be your getting a little smoke on the reload and have an OK draft? I always try and burn in cycles and reload on a coal bed for this reason. If I do add wood on a fire, I open the door that first couple of inches super slow and that seem to help. A rather long piece close to the door opening does not help either.

I would say it is because the Liberty has the large door, your Endeavor had a smaller door. If you can add a few few feet to your flue the problem would likely go up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.