Lopi Pioneer - Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Elettt

Nov 13, 2008
Central Ma/NH Border
I purchased a thermostat for my Lopi Pioneer. $53 for a cheapo analog thermostat..I wasn't happy, but it was either that or $90 for the remote. I was told that this is the ONLY thermostat that will work with our stove. Is that true or can I go and get a digital?

The reason I ask is because obviously these ones are hard to read, and can be a little flaky sometimes. But a big part of it is, we have a digital thermostat on another wall which is leftover from when we used oil. This is what I read the room temperature by as the feel of the room and the number seem to make sense. But it has a HUGE difference in temp reading than the stove thermostat. For instance, Right now it's about 64 in here with the stove on low. But the stove thermostat says it's just over 55 degrees (as far as I can tell, like I said they're hard to read).

This is my second thermostat as the first wasn't shutting the stove off. I should note too that we have electric baseboards in the basement which has an analog thermo and this one is usually 5-6 degrees lower than the leftover digital thermostat that is down there as well. So if I want it to be 60 I have to put the analog thermostat at 55.

Is this normal or can I calibrate the stove thermostat? Is my dealer full of it when he says I can't use ANY other thermostat except that one?

Mine came with a cheapo Lux, a mechanical off, on, it works great. The room temp reading part was off 10 deg until I adjusted it. I would say any off, on mechanical thermostat would work. The one that came with my stove I saw online for $10, no Quad name on it.
I don't know if the digital would work, one way is try it.

slls said:
Mine came with a cheapo Lux, a mechanical off, on, it works great. The room temp reading part was off 10 deg until I adjusted it. I would say any off, on mechanical thermostat would work. The one that came with my stove I saw online for $10, no Quad name on it.
I don't know if the digital would work, one way is try it.

How did you adjust it? If I can get it adjusted I don't really care if it's analog or digital. In fact I don't really care that it's off, I just have to remember what the difference is, it's just a tad annoying.

IMG_1024_1_1.gif

That round disc is what I turned with a pair of pliers, you can see the edges kind of chewed, it did the job.

I actually use a Springfield digital thermometer I bought in Walmart with humidity, battery power and didn't cost much.

"This is my second thermostat as the first wasn’t shutting the stove off. "

Let me know how you make out. My cheapo thermostat that was included with my Lopi won't turn the stove off either...haven't had a chance to swap it out yet.

Jim

Oh this thing definitely turns the stove off, it worked really well today once I got the nerve to turn up the heat output (which is more efficient anyway). But the degree separation is still pretty great. The front of my cover is literally just some red dyed stuff in some sort of plastic containment which doesn't allow me to calibrate it. I'm toying with taking our digital lux from downstairs and putting it up and seeing if it works. if it does I'll buy another. Though that has heat anticipator settings and I hate using those. I'd rather have a clear degree differential setting.

I think the dealer is yanking on me about only this and the remote being the two options.

P. Elettt said:
Millivolt thermostats are mechanical only correct? I'm not really sure what they are but I'm doing some searching.

Millivolt come in both mech or digital. I use a Rite-Temp 6022 from Home Depot on my stove.

Have used a LUXPro programmable 'stat on my astoria from day 1....works great, no problems at all. $25

Attachments

• LUX psp511l.gif
    LUX psp511l.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.