Lopi? Quadra Fire? Breckwell? Napoleon? Harmon? Enviro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cielomelo

Oct 19, 2007
north shore,ma
Thanks to all the wonderful advice from all of you, I have had my chimney inspected and have a energy auditor coming and have finally decided on a pellet stove.

Now the question is which one. Can you tell me if out of Lopi, Quadra Fire, Harmon, Enviro, Napoleon. Breckwell which one is the best and after that which would be the order?

THANKS SO MUCH.

There is a "best pellet stove" thread already. Basically, there is no "best", most of them are good stoves. If you tell us more what you are looking for then people could help. Size? Area to heat? Cast or Modern? Need battery backup? Auto Ignition? What kinds of features are you looking for?

Sorry, didn't know there is a best pellet thread, I'm a newbie.

Have about 1800 sq. feet, cast, has to be an insert and don't care about battery back up, have gas back up.

There is no best unit except the one that is best for you. Time to start visiting dealers. We can suggest models until the cows come home, but if you have no dealers, or don't like such and such style, or have other restrictions, it's just blowing smoke. Find the top three that you are trying to decide on and we may be able to get it down to one unit. But ultimately you need to get a good unit that has good, reputable dealer support. If time is of essence, I would narrow the list down to Quadrafire, Harman, Enviro.

Thanks for the advice, but thats precisely my problem, I have visited over 12 dealers and spoken with over 25 on the phone throughout New England area and one dealer says one thing and the other says something else.
For example, one dealer said Napoleon was great and a great price and then another dealer said to me, if you do anything definitely do not buy a Napoleon or Breckwell, anything that is sold on the internet isn't good. And so on and so on, so thats why I wanted the opinions from people who know what they are talking about and aren't trying to sell me anything. So if anybody wants to shed some more light, bring it on.

Thanks

What is your favorite dealer so far? What is your favorite stove so far?

I actually have 3 different ones and can't decide and all 3 suggest different ones, Mt. Vernon Quad, Enviro, Lopi and Harmon.

My favorite looking one is Mt. Vernon, but to be really honest even though this is financially sacrificing for us, I don't mind spending 300 more if its a better stove.
The reasons I like the Mt. Vernon is of course the look of it and the fact that it has the highest BTU's out there.

One of the dealers I really like says that they've been selling Lopi for over 20 yrs and never any problems, so I am basically at the mercy of all these people. I'm not very good at making decisions on my own and my husband is leaving it up to me, so thats the reason for the countless hours on the phone, internet and dealers

Thanks so much for your time.

Travis is the parent company of Lopi and Avalon and it has been around for a while, but not necessarily making pellet stoves. Quad and Harman have a longer track record. I'd narrow it down to them.

Like you, I spent countless hours searching the web, going to dealers and reading every thing I could get my hands on. This forum is a great place for information. You may also want to try http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/firepl/
I spent days searching for any information I could find on my top 3 choices. In fact the stove I really thought I wanted fell out of the running because I kept finding complaints about quality control and warranty service after the sale. Really dig in and let the information you find strengthen your opinion. I am guessing you already know which one is your favorite! you are just looking for some re-assurance from the people who have been there done that.

BTW: Don't be afraid to use the search feature. There are hundreds of threads cholked full of information just waiting to be retrieved!

BG, Avalon/Lopi started making pellet stove way back in the early 90's along with everyone else - and in fact they made one of the most reliable ones back then (and still have that rep).....

You have to put all the stuff in a pipe and smoke it (pardon the pun)...for instance, the Harman will burn higher ash (lower quality) pellets. Some other models can burn straight corn, like the Magnum I have (plug- they are a site sponsor!)......not sure what the others can do with corn or high ash.

Then there is the current Harman situation - no word yet on the new organization plans. The old Harman dealer may not be the new Harman dealer...who knows?

Personally, I would try to get something which TRULY can burn higher ash fuels and corn or mix. At the trade show last year I spoke to numerous outfits that are bringing such products (mixed biomass) to market, and it would be a shame to only be able to use premiums.

One problem with this is that you have to find a dealer or an user who is honest enough to tell you the truth - some brochures make claims about corn and biomass that may be a little exaggerated. I can speak personally for the Harman (high ash pellets) and the Magnum (corn), but I am not up to date on the others.

No comment on the specific pellet stoves, but I will say that I get suspicious of dealers that rank on brands they don't sell, especially with lines like "stay away from stuff on the net" - some of the internet / big box brands are good, some aren't, but is the dealer speaking honestly, or is he BS'ing you in an effort to get you to buy his (more expensive?) brands...

I have a much better feeling about vendors in general that want to tell me why their products / services make it good for me to buy from them, as opposed to making them selves look good by running down the competition. I give bonus points to sellers that suggest or at least say good things about their competitors products if they think the other product will do a better job in meeting my needs.

Pellet stoves seem to be more "service intensive" than wood stoves overall, so I would say picking a dealer is probably as important as picking the stove - you probably want to get one that is close by so that service calls won't cost a fortune in travel time, but I'd also say to pick a dealer or several that you get "good vibes" from, and choose your stove from among the models they carry.

Gooserider

Craig, I can personally attest to the Mt. Vernon AE's claim of auto lighting and burning straight corn. We did it in our showroom for quite a while. Only problem is corn makes a giant mess, ash everywhere inside the stove. It will also burn Wheat and Sunflower seeds, and of course pellets.

BeGreen said:
Travis is the parent company of Lopi and Avalon and it has been around for a while, but not necessarily making pellet stoves. Quad and Harman have a longer track record. I'd narrow it down to them.

Not sure what you are saying about Travis not making pellet stove.
they have a lot better track record of trouble free stoves that Quad. We remove at least 2 quads a year to be replace with a new pellet stove because of the OLD crapy system (100% heat of NONE at all) they had. ( I know the new system is better)

Travis has been making pellet stove since 1989
They make 3 Avalon units
Astoria, newport and the the Arbor cast
Lopi has 3
Yankee, Pioneer and Layden.
I dont recommend the Newport or Pioneer. IMO they are To small for the money.

I still have to say for the Money and Dependabity one of the NEWER Enviro units has to be the best choice.
Empresses Cast or Meridian all under $3k or the Mini for around $2200.

There new Mulitfuel units are Nice but not to many out yet at over $4k
I have not had a good test with my Omega yet. It has not been cold yet and it has only been coming on in the midle of the night.
I have not reloaded the 3 bag hopper since I put it in 3 weeks ago.
http://www.hearthtools.com/pellet/enviro/omegared.jpg

cielomelo said:
I actually have 3 different ones and can't decide and all 3 suggest different ones, Mt. Vernon Quad, Enviro, Lopi and Harmon.

My favorite looking one is Mt. Vernon, but to be really honest even though this is financially sacrificing for us, I don't mind spending 300 more if its a better stove.
The reasons I like the Mt. Vernon is of course the look of it and the fact that it has the highest BTU's out there.

One of the dealers I really like says that they've been selling Lopi for over 20 yrs and never any problems, so I am basically at the mercy of all these people. I'm not very good at making decisions on my own and my husband is leaving it up to me, so thats the reason for the countless hours on the phone, internet and dealers

Thanks so much for your time.

You said it has to be an insert, right? Well, I suppose I am biased, since I sell the Harman line, but I also sell, and have sold, the Travis (Lopi/Avalon) and Enviro lines for many years. I can honestly say I have not seen a better pellet insert than the Harman Accentra Insert. If you will be the one maintaining and cleaning the stove it will make your job a LOT easier. They have designed an absolutely wonderful way to access the stove parts and the exhaust liner. I have been servicing pellet stoves for over fifteen years and I've not found an easier insert to service. Now, I have not used or serviced the Quads so I can't speak to them. All I know is that the Harman Accentra is a dream when compared to all other inserts I have serviced.

To me, the service and maintenance of the pellet insert is more important than any other feature. But with the Accentra you get not only easy service access but all the other features of a top pellet stove. Next in line, in importance, is the the dealer or service center. If you have a dealership who is not helpful or will not support the stove you purchase you won't be happy no matter what stove you buy.

Sean

Edit to say the Accentra also adjusts to three different sizes so it can fit more fireplaces. But, the smaller sizes have a smaller hopper. You'll want the largest stove that will fit your FP.

Webmaster said:
BG, Avalon/Lopi started making pellet stove way back in the early 90's along with everyone else - and in fact they made one of the most reliable ones back then (and still have that rep).....

I stand corrected. I should have specified the newest Avalon/Lopi stoves in the Leyden and Arbor. I haven't heard from owners of them yet, so was reluctant to recommend the newest stove. The older Lopi/Avalon are common out here and though utilitarian looking (at least my wife's opinion) , they're strong units from what I've heard.

(Note to self: Don't jump on forums for a quicky during lunch time.)

Guts of the new Travis stoves are almost identical to the "utilitarian" models. They have a hardened ceramic fireback rather than cast iron though.

Thanks Shane. Electronics as well?

Yeah. I always liked Travis for the interchangability of parts across the whole line. They now have one digital control board that can be calibrated for use in any of what I call their "second generation" stoves.

I would get a Harman as they seem to have the best feed and burn system along with alot more control over the settings then the others. We dumped enviro as we could not get any support from them when we needed it same with quadrafire since going corparate they have eliminated 90% of the staff that acually knows anything and it shows, they are what on there 6th upgrade on the new MT Vernon in only 2 years. Now that HHT owns Harman I can only say that will soon go down hill also. Travis makes very good product also and has a good support system for their costomers.

ScubaSteve, the issues with the Mt Vernon have nothing to do with staff changes. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

Shane said:
Yeah. I always liked Travis for the interchangability of parts across the whole line. They now have one digital control board that can be calibrated for use in any of what I call their "second generation" stoves.

And made right here in WA state!

jtp10181 - 27 October 2007 01:48 PM
ScubaSteve, the issues with the Mt Vernon have nothing to do with staff changes.

Can you explain why you think this is so?

Sean

Brand loyalty. He works for one of the HHT owned shops if I remember correctly. I don't know about Quad directly (I have my own personal issues with the "self insured" attitude.) but when there are big corporate takeovers it does seem like alot of the tech guys etc. go away. It's too bad when you get a repoir with someone and then they're not there anymore. What troubles did you have with Envior Scuba? I only dealt with them for about a season but their tech support was top tier when I did.

seaken said:
jtp10181 said:
ScubaSteve, the issues with the Mt Vernon have nothing to do with staff changes.

Can you explain why you think this is so?

Sean

A lot of things went on. Two key things about sum it up.

Vendor issues, either changing or not supplying parts as speced.
Push to get the product out, rushing the engineers.

-----
Also the new ACC stoves have come out since this and I see some great design improvements and new features.

I have PERSONALLY worked with people from Quadrafire, engineers, technical writers, tech support, etc... There is nothing wrong with their support. In fact when customers have problems with warranty issues (crack in metal firebox or other major issues), I just get some pictures and send it to Quad. Usually within a couple days I have authorization to replace the whole thing. The incident rate I would have to say is less than 1% but when there is a problem they back it up.

Also, on a cold air issue we had with an older Northstar (Heat & Glo label but made by Quad) Quad flew an engineer to WI and he went to the customer house with me and installed a kit he made to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.