Lopi republic 1250 chimney too tall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxmedicxxx

Oct 16, 2007
San Diego, CA
I just had a lopi wood stove installed. The chimney looks way too tall, I don't know if I can stand to look at it.
It is roughly 17 ft from floor to vent cap. This stove requires 15ft from floor to cap. My question is if I cut it down to abot 14 ft, is the performance going to suffer alot, or is this 15 ft rule, just a guidline more or less. please help
Jamie

That 15ft the stove requires could be the minimum stack height recommended by the stove manufacturer.17 ft doesn't sound high to me,since the chimney is the engine required for that stove to operate properly.I'd try a few burns with it as is,determine how the stove operates,then reasess the whole system again.If it ain't broke...don't fix it.Welcome to the Hearth.

Thanks I will try to burn first, but the thing just looks horrible, I was going to pull some pipe out before I dirty them up. Maybe get a few bucks back, but burning sounds better.

Is the extra 2 feet required to clear the roof?

Is your chimney class "a" stainless steel insulated variety that runs up the side of your house?

I have a new Republic 1750 with a 15 foot chimney (SS liner). My buddy has the same stove (also new) with 35+ foot masonry chimney (internal) and there is a noticeable difference in the drafts of the two stoves/chimneys. Mine seems sufficient as far as I can tell with the limited amount of burning I have done so far this season. I think his performance will be better, particularly with starting fires. I'm no techie, but I would suggest that you keep as much chimney length as possible as draft is an important thing!
I'm sure you will get some far more detailed responses, but that is my experience with essentially the same stove and chimney length that you have.

The installers went that high for a reason. I would talk to them and find out what it was before shortening that thing.

Shoot us a picture of it.

It is a stainless through the roof. it doesn,t need anymore room to clear the roof. The store recomends 15 ft for draft purposes, but then the guy said 14.5 would be ok. I just want some opinons. the thing is a tall eye sore in my opinon.

Jamie

the thing is a tall eye sore in my opinion

From a wood burner's perspective, I don't think it's possible to have an "eye sore" chimney ;-)

When I'm driving, I'm always checking out other people's chimney/set-up.

Never seen a chimney I would call an eyesore. I actually dig the tall class A chimneys I see sticking up here and there.

As my wife says....errrr....nevermind :cheese:

OK guys. Here is the pic Jamie sent me of the pipe. Hard to tell from the angle but it looks like the installers were trying to be higher than the peak, not just a point ten feet away from the stack.

What do ya think? Trying to clear the peak? Didn't have a piece of shorter pipe for the second section? Did if perfectly?

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 441
Hard to say for sure, but to be honest, I'm not sure taking 2' off that is really going to make all that much difference from an aesthetic point of view.

Leave it....big shiny smoke stacks are cool.

It doesn't seem to be any taller than the rest of the vents on your roof.

What is the distance from the peak of your roof to the chimney, both horizontally and vertically?

Really hard to say. From the angle of the photo, the roof pitch looks very shallow.

Just curious - wood heating in San Diego? Are you in the hills?

the angle of the photo indicates to me he has a 5 pitch roof, that means for ever foot up that roof is 5" taller

times 10' he needs 50" just to be even plus 24" to be above the 10/3/2 rule or 74" to the outlet. It appears he barely meets compliance

after 4' additional support is required which his installerd included the require bracing So I gusee if you install the chimney correctly there is a groan and when you skimp on height there
is a groan. Really when you hire someone to do it right, as it appears, then what' to groan about

Thanks for all the help. with the picture doesn't really do it justice. I just think it looks too tall. I am stuck here at the fire station, so the pictures are from my wifes phone. I will evaluate the stack in the morning. I do live in san diego, and the stove is for heating, but more for the romantic interludes by the fire.

Jamie

xxxmedicxxx said:
Thanks for all the help. with the picture doesn't really do it justice. I just think it looks too tall. I am stuck here at the fire station, so the pictures are from my wifes phone. I will evaluate the stack in the morning. I do live in san diego, and the stove is for heating, but more for the romantic interludes by the fire.

Jamie

I think in San Diego you will need the taller stack. With the high ambient temps I suspect the stove will need all the draft it can get. If you don't like the look, maybe build a chase or put a fake chimney around it.

Just curious,

didn't the stove shop tell you that the chimney would be sticking up there? What were you expecting? (not picking fight - really want to know, what were your expecting?)

I am a hearth sales person and have learned to show my clients ahead of time what the chimney will look like. There are ways to change the look without sacrificing good chimney height. But, the cost increases as you add these features. Did your sales person explain this to you?

I think you will get better performance from your stove if you leave it 17'. But as I tell my clients, " it's your house, you can do as you please. Just remember that I will be considering the chimney if you call me to diagnose a stove problem."

Sean

Ok, I made it home today, and the chimney is just fine. By the looks of the picture I thought it looked too tall. To answer some questions yes the salesman told me the height of the chimney, but I didn't really think it was going to be that tall. I love the stove, we had our first fire in it, well actually right now. I do have a question. How long does it take to care the paint, this thing has some horrible fumes comming off of it. I think I burn in the day tomorrow just to sweat everything out of it. Thanks for all of your help. Did I mention I love the stove!!!!

Jamie

...yeah, the first burn sucks...it will only stink that bad during the first couple fires. If you hit a "record" temp afterwards, it might stink a bit again, but nothing like that first fire :sick:

Congrats on your first fire, and welcome to the club!

Status
Not open for further replies.