Lopi Republic 1750 (Door Gasket?) Part II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-Eddie

Jan 16, 2013
Dover, NH
www.hytronix.com
Hi All,

Some of you may recall my thread from the other day about an overfire I had, and a suspicion it may be the door gasket, or a door handle cam adjustment.

Here's where I'm at now:

1) Ordered new door gasket, will be here in a few days, will use if I need it obviously
2) Tightened cam a bit. Dor feels more "solid" when latching, but this had no effect on the tightness of the "doillar bill" test, which offered some resistance beforehand anyway.
3) Fluffed gasket all around.
4) Let stove go cold until this afternoon, cleaned really well, including the (very smoked out) glass.
5) Just started a new fire. put in a few smaller splits, closed the bypass and let it get up to 450 or so. Adjusted air down to about 1/2 way.

Findings:

Air control seems to have an effect, so I *guess* it can't be leaking horribly. It's holding about 425-450 degrees.

-BUT-

Here's the weird part. Only the splits on the right side of the firebox are burning, and the left side of the glass is tarring up. Pic attached.

Still sound like a leaky gasket? I don't have any incense, and I don't smoke, but I tried holding my lighter up to around the door and it *might* be pulling a little on the bottom, it's hard to tell.

Thoughts?

-JE

1750.JPG

My stove does that. Burning on one side and the other side is black along with the glass but eventually the other side starts to burn and glass clears. I always thought maybe there were more, hotter coals on the side that was burning than the side that was not. My gasket is the original (4th heating season) and very tight so I know the burning on one side with my stove is not a gasket problem From the picture I would say you need to get the fire burning a little hotter. I see no secondary burn at all<>

My stove does that. Burning on one side and the other side is black along with the glass but eventually the other side starts to burn and glass clears. I always thought maybe there were more, hotter coals on the side that was burning than the side that was not. My gasket is the original (4th heating season) and very tight so I know the burning on one side with my stove is not a gasket problem From the picture I would say you need to get the fire burning a little hotter. I see no secondary burn at all<>

Thanks - you're right I think - it didn't really hold at that temp and the secondaries died out by the time I took that pic. Maybe I'll try taking it up to 500 or so and then backing off.

-JE

I really think these stoves have a design defect with the gasket channel (the handle actually comes through the door in the edge of the gasket channel). Then again, I could only compare to the Endeavor and Liberty.

See: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ed-black-glass-issue-but.117820/#post-1576448

We fought black glass from day one, and the dealer replaced it too in year 2. And we fixed it RIGHT in year 3.

Our local dealer had gasket material in stock. It cost about $15 plus the cement and a bit of time scraping the old cement/atv sealant and gasket stuff off.

I really think these stoves have a design defect with the gasket channel (the handle actually comes through the door in the edge of the gasket channel). Then again, I could only compare to the Endeavor and Liberty.

See: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ed-black-glass-issue-but.117820/#post-1576448

We fought black glass from day one, and the dealer replaced it too in year 2. And we fixed it RIGHT in year 3.

Our local dealer had gasket material in stock. It cost about $15 plus the cement and a bit of time scraping the old cement/atv sealant and gasket stuff off.

Yeah it seems like a strange way to do it, and I've had a bit of the "black glass" since day one, too. In my case, *most* of it ends up burning off at 550+.

Also, to add to what was mentioned in the thread you cite... My manual says to start the gasket at the bottom left corner, yet mine came from the factory with the seam at the middle of the right side. Not sure if it matters, but there it is.

-JE

Status
Not open for further replies.