Lopi Republic 1750 Side Panel Heat Shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allen80602

Dec 1, 2016
Denver
Hi - this is my first post! I just had a Lopi Republic1750 installed and have a question about the side panel heat shields. The stove is installed in the middle of the room with the back of the stove 6 inches from the wall. Closest combustible surface is 5 feet on the left and 7 feet on the right.

I'm considering removing the side panels in order to improve radiation from the sides of the stove. It looks like they easily come off by removing several screws and then lifting the side panels off.

First, I'm assuming that the insert version of this stove does not have, or need, these side panel heat shields and operates normally without them - but can someone please verify this?

Secondly, does anyone see a reason why I should not attempt removing them on my free standing 1750?

Thanks!

The side shields help determine rear clearance. The concern would be the diagonal distance from the stove side to the rear wall behind it. Without the shields the stove clearance is untested. Untested stoves need 36" clearance to combustibles. It may be safe with less distance, but no one knows because it's untested.

It's been years since I have seen one but I think the insert is completely enclosed in a convection jacket except for the front that projects out onto the hearth.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.