Lopi Revere insert quick review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHiker

Sep 25, 2008
Northern California
I have been using the Revere for a few weeks now.

The stove appears well constructed. One of the reasons that we chose the Revere is that it has about 10" of cook top extending into the room. It is nice to have this for a steam kettle. Also, without the blower I think we get better heat radiation.

I knew that the ash lip in the front was low and that would present some inconvenience, and it does. Not a major deal but I would prefer a deeper stove.

The size of the wood box is good for a stove that size. I would not want a smaller one for sure.

I have not carefully timed it but we have left it unattended for at least 12 hours after loading it with black oak and had plenty of coals left to continue the fire. Overnight is no problem.

I have not had a modern stove before so I cannot compare it's burn characteristics with other stoves but it seems to do what it is supposed to. At the same time it does not seem to have as much obvious after burn as I was hoping for.

The glass will get dirty under some conditions but this has not been bad and will largely burn itself off.

I just ran another thread on having a blower. I think it is well worth it.

Even with the smoke vent for opening the door I still have to be careful to not get smoke in the room. It did not seem to be as much of a problem at first.

I do agree with not wanting a smaller box for sure. It does burn quite long. If you get the stove good and hot it should burn secondaries for 45 min or so. Something good happens to this stove when it reaches around 600* stove top. That's when you get the good secondaries. My glass only gets dirty when I try to put 18" stuff in. I wish I could put longer pieces in. This is definitely a N/S loading stove compared to E/W though. You can get a longer piece going N/S by like an inch. I've noticed that I have to turn off my ceiling fan which is about 4 feet away or else it will suck out the smoke. I've got to open the bypass for a few minutes then crack the door and start opening slowly. Not an exact science. I'm trying to work on a better secondary tube holding system. Other than that... it's a nice stove.

Congrats on the Lopi... Good brand..

Status
Not open for further replies.