Lopi snap disk "turn on" temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a Lopi Revere just about 24/7 for seven seasons now. The fan is a must have. Those switches get "lazy" after a few years and need to be replaced. My fan will cycle on and off repeatedly as the stove warms and that's how I know it's time to buy another $15 switch from the neighborhood Lopi dealer. I also give the fan and it's housing a good cleaning twice each season. It is unbelievable how ash and dust will reduce the efficiency of the fan.

It looks like I'm going to have to replace the switch in my stove. The fan will now come on pretty reliably, but it won't shut off when the burn cycle is done and the stove is cold. One time it even came on when the stove top was showing ~200 degrees.... Odd behavior that almost points to a chafed wire.

I suspect it's the snap-switch. They get sticky and erratic when about to fail.

Well, one plus is that it's exceptionally easy to access the snap disk on my insert. If I get frustrated this year, the snap disc is connected by 2 wires with slide-on adapters on the ends - easy enough to strip em and wirenut em together if needed and then simply either use the fan control and/or an outlet timer.

Now that I've thought it through some more, I am liking the idea of the timer more and more. The fan control itself operates as an on/off switch along with speed of fan, and the timer can just be set at night to my specifications.

We'll see what I wind up doing, but I don' tthink I'll be replacing the snap disk.

Thanks for all who participate on this and other threads, this site is invaluable. I am reading this during the curing burn-in on a new Republic 1750 insert, first fire on first insert ever for me. Just a data point, my fan came on when the highest surface temperature (Kintrex thermometer, didn't want to cure the stovetop thermo into the paint) was 330° F. However, it took me 2 hours to get to that temp, which means either that I put 2 very heavy logs in first with not nearly enough kindling/small logs (definitely) or my thermometer is low (less likely). I think it is pretty cool still because there isn't any secondary burning, and the stove isn't making much noise. Turning the fan off now to see if the stove temp will rise any more. Since this is the curing fire and the door is ajar, it's easy to open up and poke around with the IR thermometer. It reads off the scale for the burning logs, and 400-700 for the firebricks on the sides, back and top.

Often times break-in fires don't get temps high enough to kick the fan on so don't worry. Lots of mass to heat up there.

Paint snap black if not already so. It will soak up more heat and turn on quicker.
Can you explain how black paint can heat up faster, there's no sunshine in the back of my stove. This is from a very old thread.
Thanks, Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.