Lopi Spirit Thermocouple replacement help - disassembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacewrangler

Nov 28, 2014
Idaho
My Lopi Spirit won't stay on after releasing the pilot button no matter how long I press it. I was going to replace the thermocouple since I figured it was probably the issue and should be an easy thing to do, but I'm thinking I was wrong on the easy part. After pulling out the logs and shield, it seems the thermocouple mount is screwed in from the bottom. I do not see an easy way to access it aside from disassembling most of the inside of the stove. Worse is the positioning of the thermocouple attachment to the gas valve assembly. the thermocouple attaches to the bottom of the valve which is pretty much pressed against the bottom plate of the stove. Again it seems major disassemble of the whole stove is necessary.
I have not been able to locate any disassembly diagrams for this Lopi Spirit B-Vent stove and before I do, I wanted to check here to see if there is anyone of any knowledge to if I'm missing something obvious here to do this easier. I think I can manage to possibly get the thermocouple tip back in with out too much disassembly and small hands, but getting a wrench onto the valve side seems impossible. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9979.JPG
    IMG_9979.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 993
I don't know your particular unit, but I've worked on a LOT of gas units that I'd never seen before.
You should be able to remove a couple of screws & lift the entire pilot assemble from the floor of the firebox.
Maybe you could post a pic of the assembly as it's in there now...
The t-couple attachment to the valve ALWAYS seems to be in an inaccessible location.
You'll need a small (5/16"?) open end wrench to loosen the nut holding it into the valve.
It'll come out easier than it goes in, believe me. It's a nightmare trying to get the end of the TC
aligned at the correct angle to engage the threads on the nut. Stick with it. It's doable...

those older b-vent travis products were hard to work on!
one of the tougher pilots to replace... yes you have to take a lot apart.

did you test or temporarily bypass the spill switch?

My Lopi Spirit won't stay on after releasing the pilot button no matter how long I press it. I was going to replace the thermocouple since I figured it was probably the issue and should be an easy thing to do, but I'm thinking I was wrong on the easy part. After pulling out the logs and shield, it seems the thermocouple mount is screwed in from the bottom. I do not see an easy way to access it aside from disassembling most of the inside of the stove. Worse is the positioning of the thermocouple attachment to the gas valve assembly. the thermocouple attaches to the bottom of the valve which is pretty much pressed against the bottom plate of the stove. Again it seems major disassemble of the whole stove is necessary.
I have not been able to locate any disassembly diagrams for this Lopi Spirit B-Vent stove and before I do, I wanted to check here to see if there is anyone of any knowledge to if I'm missing something obvious here to do this easier. I think I can manage to possibly get the thermocouple tip back in with out too much disassembly and small hands, but getting a wrench onto the valve side seems impossible. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Hi Space dude. I am in the process of rebuilding a Spirit. Getting at the thermo requires removing the logs the lower gas parts. Its actually not bad just time consuming. Once the burner and all is out you can remove several screws around the therm mounting plate and the whole apparatus will come up then you can unbolt the thermo and replace. I believe the following will help:

http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/100-01153.pdf

Attachments

• 93508056.pdf
    825.9 KB · Views: 999
Status
Not open for further replies.