lopi stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stovebuyer

Jan 18, 2006
Hi newbe here, looking to buy stove propane looking at lopi but question about stove pipe. theirs is a doulbe liner one 4inch exshust surounded by the 6inch so call for fresh air does this work? Instead of taking air inside your home to help fuel the fire it takes from outside. What about cold cold weather trying to warm up cold cold air?. any more or less down drafts or blow out in poilit lights. any help would be great.. thans buyer..

What your refering to is direct vent technology. It was pioneered by Heatnglo. It's pretty well an industry standard. There are a few companies (Lopi included) that build direct vent units exclusively. In my opinion it is certainly the best method. You are using air from outside for combustion, this is advantageous in two ways 1.) your not burning air you've already paid to heat 2.) Rangehoods bathroom fans and other competing sources for air in your home are separated from your stove. This alleviates downdrafting and expulsion of carbon monoxide into the living space. Though natural vent units do have spill swithces to prevent this as well; the only thing is is that some level of this stuff will still enter the home before the spill switch trips and on top of that a spill switch is a snap disc. Snap discs are one of the most failable parts used in stoves today. In situations where you have very strong winds the pilot light can occasionally blow out. 99% of the time this can be remedied with a different style cap and or a diffuser either placed over the cap or in the stove air intake somewhere (following mfg's instruction of course). I live in Wyoming it's one of the windiest places in the country and we sell direct vents exlusively with great results.

I just installed a Lopi Berkshire direct vent in my new masterbedroom. It is a great stove. Not only great looking but really well made. Mine is direct vented out the side of the house and I live in a very windy area. The pilot has been fine. The thing heats great. Granted its been unusaully warm but in a 750 sq foot room with 15' cathedral ceilings with skylights, it only takes a few minutes to bring the temp up and kicks off. I hooked it up to a thermostat to keep a constant temperature. This is without a blower. I didnt want the blower kicking on at night when we are sleeping. As far as the cold air, all the combustion air is from the outside and the unit is sealed from the inside air so no cold air enters the house. As far as the combustion air coming in from outside, its my opinion that cold air from the outside actually burns hotter than room air.

Hi Stovebuyer,
What type of Lopi gas stove are you interested in? We were looking at a model called the Lopi Berkshire. Nice unit.
We have a Heat & Glow Propane Gas Fireplace Insert that is direct vent. There is no problems with this system and it is definitely the way to go. As far as the wind blowing out the pilot light, we have a high wind termination cap on top of our chimney and it has never gone out.

Fire :) Bug

Thans all for the input. looks like I shall be buying a stove,. The Berkshire oxford, form other things I've read though does not sound like Lopi ever has end of season discounts. But I have heard about long wait times if the stove or items as blower are not in stock. any one heard this too.

I haven't really seen this in gas products. Only wood and pellet. You just missed a pretty sweet deal on the Lopi they were giving away a free hearth pad and a free thermostat with purchase. It ended 12/31 though. If you wait a while you may be able to get a deal on one it's kind of dealer dependent. Though prices will inevitably increase around March though they do every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.