lopi stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjem5

Jan 23, 2011
southern Mass
Hello there. I am new to pellet stoves or any stoves for that matter. I am searching for a stove and came across these lopi stoves. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Any advice on good brands? I have looked at the harman so far and I want to check out a few brands before I buy Thank you for your help

Im no expert in this stuff but have done alot of research. A friend of mine owns a stove shop and he swears by Harman. Hope this helps you...Im getting the Harman p-68 next week hopefully.

yeah So far I have only heard great things about harman. You get what you pay for I guess and they sure are expensive. I am not too sure how a stove will work out in my house(a raised ranch) I guess anything will help with my oil consumption. Thanks for the reply

We own a Lopi Yankee Free Standing stove.

It does serve us very well, BUT if I had to replace it or were looking for a new stove I would seriously consider the Englander/Timbers Ridge/Summers Heat Mutli-Fuel Stove all three are the same stove just sold under different names depending on where it is bought from.

I think “imacman†got his from a guy on ebay, and he has made some very good comments about it on here.

He burned something like 58 bags of pellets in it before cleaning it, and claimed that it was still burning well.

The support provided by the people at Englander is without a doubt one of the BEST in the stove industry.

I think that this ebay listing is for the same stove as "imacman" has & it is from the same seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb479f57c

As a previous Avalon owner (which are the same stoves sold under different names as the Lopi), I can say that the Travis Industries stoves are well made, reliable, and are easy to use. They put out very good heat, and are easy to clean & work on. I would have NO qualms about recommending either the Astoria or Lopi brand.

And yes, I did buy my Englander on eBay from AMPM stoves.....I didn't get rid of the Astoria for any other reason other than I wanted the versatility of the 10-cpm multi-fuel capability.

Grab yourself a pot of coffee and take a few hours to cruz the limits of this forum. While you are welcome to join us, your question is the stove equivalent of, "I'm going to buy a car maybe a truck, what do you suggest?" Get some ideas from the comments and information available and refine those questions on the forum. All of us have our preferences, but we don't know your wants or needs.

I have an older Lopi Foxfire and love it. It is easy to run and simple to keep clean. As for the heat it puts out, I have to say it is much hotter than some of my friends stoves. I also have a few friends that own Quadrafire stoves and I have to say they are very nice as well.

I have a Lopi Leyden and love it. Easy to clean. Great heat. Probably a little more cleaning than other brands as the ash doesn't go into the ash bin much. But i wouldn't trade it for anything.

thank you all for your replies. I will take your advice and look through these forums. I am actually going to get an insert for the fire place. Like I said this is my first stove purchase and I would have never guessed there are so many stoves and so much homework need to be done first. Again thank you all.

nksdad2007 said:
I have a Lopi Leyden and love it. Easy to clean. Great heat. Probably a little more cleaning than other brands as the ash doesn't go into the ash bin much. But i wouldn't trade it for anything.

X2

Travis Industries Lopi Leyden is an excellent PS. My only complaint is since it has cast iron ash traps, you have to lift those out in order to scrape the ash down into the ash pan. A little more work than others where the ash automatically drops down into the pan like a Harman, Enviro Empress etc..

Also, yes Harmans are expensive, but when I bought mine (during the panic a few ago), it was only a few hundred less than a Harman XXV. I did the research also and originally wanted an XXV as my first choice but couldn't get one for about 6 months. So I went with my second choice Lopi Leyden and am very happy with it. I'm sure i would have loved the XXV also.

jayjem5 said:
Hello there. I am new to pellet stoves or any stoves for that matter. I am searching for a stove and came across these lopi stoves. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Any advice on good brands? I have looked at the harman so far and I want to check out a few brands before I buy Thank you for your help
I have a QuadraFire! It's a great stove - has served me well!

Look at the heatilator by hearth and home.We have a ps50 qnd love it.

jayjem5 said:
Hello there. I am new to pellet stoves or any stoves for that matter. I am searching for a stove and came across these lopi stoves. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Any advice on good brands? I have looked at the harman so far and I wan
t to check out a few brands before I buy Thank you for your help

We own the lopi leyden. Have been using it since October. The family loves it. You can always find one of my kids planted in front of it. It keeps our living room and dining room in the 70 s. And alot of heat naturallr rises up to the 2 bedrooms upstairs.

Have a Lopi Leyden and love it. Igniter went after one season, but replaced by dealer. My fault as I ran it off a thermostat for the 1st season. Very happy with the stove and warranty. I'm just afraid my dog is falling in love with it.

The Pacific Energy Warmland is a very good pellet stove (not multifuel yet) and the St. Croix Multi-Fuel stoves are very good as well. If you need a lot of heat and need a Multi-Fuel unit, you may want to look at the Enviro M55's. Just my 2 cents worth.

Stay Warm,

AR

This is my first season with a pellet stove. I am very pleased with our Lopi Pioneer. As others have stated, they are well made, easy to clean and produce good heat. I clean it as recommend in the manual and have had 0 problems. One important thing, and I can only speak for my stove, is the fact that the fans are easily accessible for cleaning and removal when needed.

Hello

I have the sister of the Lopi Yankee which is the Avalon Astoria both are very similar and made by Travis Industries.

So far I have had very good luck because it can heat all of my 2,000 sqft split even last night when it went down to -8.7 deg F !!

One thing I like about the Avalon, it is like a Toyota in holding is value.

I saw a 8 year old used Astoria for sale for $2,000.00 and a 9 year old Astoria for $900.00 They both were in excellent shape!

Parts are very easy to get and easy to replace. The side panels and blowers come off easily.

See Link to thread on Avalon Parts below:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66914/

Also see tips on yearly cleaning of the Blowers with Pics I took !!!
Wood Pellet Stove Yearly Cleaning - Convection Blower
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60351/

Wood Pellet Stove Yearly Cleaning - Exhaust Blower
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60251/

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 650
Just as an FYI, the Avalon version of the exact same stoves are less $$$ because the door trim and hopper lid edge trim are less fancy in appearance.

tumbles said:
Have a Lopi Leyden and love it. Igniter went after one season, but replaced by dealer. My fault as I ran it off a thermostat for the 1st season. Very happy with the stove and warranty. I'm just afraid my dog is falling in love with it.

Too bad about the igniter. I'm on 3rd season with mine and run it off tstat and still original igniter. Hopefully it will last longer.

tumbles said:

I have one too and I agree except for the whole dog thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.