lopi wood/COAL insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milquetoast

Dec 7, 2006
i'll preface this by noting that i am a total newbie and would appreiciate any advice or chastsement i can get ;)
well i was checking out ebay today for woodstove inserts and lo and behold i see a lopi insert that the seller states is wood/coal burning. i cant find any such creature on the lopi website though it looks a great deal like the "answer" model. so what do the fireplace gurus think, is this an older model no longer on the website, or does the ebay seller not know what he is talking about? we are needing to put a woodstove insert into out 1921 masonry pneumonia hole---oh, i mean fireplace. im thinking great price and nice stove, any reservations that should be popping in my head and haven't due to total lack of experience? regardless of this particular seller, am i headed in the right direction re: brand and style? any one have ebay woodstove experiences they would like to share?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200055595764&fromMakeTrack=true

sincerely,
'toast

In the late 70 and early 80 many manufactures made combo stoves that could burn wood and coal for the most part these stoves never really suceeded is burning either fuel effeciently
Parts support for most manufactures is 5 to 7 years after production run So I doubt there are any. Being a newbie this is not a stove you should be targeting
It takes a experienced eye to spot problems or gems in the rough. Look into the wiki section of this forum and read the newbie to stove buyers and then how to buy a used stove.

We get too many prople that buy boat anchors that are very poor decisions then post here to find out they bought a piec of junk and legally can not ans should not be installed,
You sir, are going about it the right way, getting educated first asking questions. A lot experienced members are here willing to point you in the right direction

Welcome to Hearth.com

thanks for the welcome!
my antennae went up in regards to the above 'new' stove--nice to know now why. the resources here have already proven to be quite helpful in my fire-education. it is just in my nature to research something before i can commit...genetically anal retentive, i guess.
basically looking for a small, reasonably priced, efficient and safe woodstove insert to act as supplemental heating for the old drafty house hubby and i are rehabbing. nothing like living in the middle of a remodeling zone! an added bonus would be ability to function as primary heat/back up cooking during our frequent power outages in the rather temperate st louis area. been here a a bit under a year and had three so far! (plus a boil water order :) ) any hoo, any reccomendations as to brands or local dealers i should investigate, how about those that i should stay very far away from?

sincerely,
‘toast

That looks like a good wood coal unit as advertised......it was probably as claimed - it's NEW old stock. It is a good value except the only question would be the availability of parts in the future. Since these were rather limited in production, I doubt that Lopi keeps replacement grates, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.