1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

lopi yankee with thermostat, need help

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by derrickp, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrickp

derrickp New Member

Loc:
    Western New York
    i posted this is a different thread but didnt want to hijack the original posters thread.

I have a thermostat hooked up to my Lopi Yankee stove and I don't believe it is working correctly.

Should it actually shut down the stove when it reaches normal temperature? Mine seems to continually run regardless of the temperature. I heard it click on and off but it doesn't seem to do anything.

For example I can turn the heat setting on the wall thermostat down to 50 degrees I hear the therm click off but the stove just keeps burning.

Can someone describe how the thermostat work? I have never been around one with a Lopi stove to know what is proper operation.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. shyann

shyann New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    waiting for replies also. My country winslow does the same thing.
  3. JBlank912

JBlank912 New Member

Loc:
    NW NJ
    I also have a Lopi Yankee with a thermostat. I am using Travis's wireless remote thermostat. In auto mode the stove should shutdown within a few degrees of the set temperature. The shutdown cycle is still 20 minutes or so. The problem I run into is if you change the temperature setting it does not always get picked up by the stove. Meaning if the room is 70, and I change the setting from 72 to 68 the stove will somwetimes keep running. I'm on my second one, the dealer swapped the first when I complained about it being flakey. This one seems better but still seems to miss the on/off cycle sometimes. 2 nights ago, I woke up to find the room at 79 when the thermostat was set to 70. Don't know why. For now, my wife and I are carefull when we change the set point.
  4. jenrn54

jenrn54 Member

Loc:
    maine
    I am new at this, but this is what I have learned. When room reaches temp stat is set at, stoves go into a shut down mode. This mean they still feed pellets and burn for 20-30 minutes longer.(Thus reaching a higher temperature in room). If running stove in HI/LO mode, some stoves continue to run in LO mode until temp drops below set point, then stove is supposed to go back into HI mode. If running in ON/OFF mode, stove completely shuts down after 20-30 minutes, then will restart again when temp drops below set point. I have a vistaflame and thermostat is not precise to a degree, but to a few degrees and seems to work well. I run in ON/OFF mode and amazes me how it works just like a furnace-turning itself on and off as thermostat calls for heat. When gets really cold, I may run in HI/LO mode to continuously have some heat. Hope this helps a bit.
  5. SlimGedi

SlimGedi New Member

Loc:
    Boston Metro
    I have a Lopi Yankee with a Honeywell programmable thermostat. Once it reaches temperature (I hear a little click on the thermostat), the stove stops feeding pellets and goes out within a few minutes. The fan usually runs for another 20 minutes or so.
  6. derrickp

derrickp New Member

Loc:
    Western New York
    SlimGedi,

Thanks for the information, my stove never shuts off, even after the "click"

Do you have a model number for your thermostat?

Thanks,
    Derrick
  7. SlimGedi

SlimGedi New Member

Loc:
    Boston Metro
    It's a Honeywell RTH230B - got it a few weeks ago at Lowes...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.