losing draft at the pipe joints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
I lit a match and blew it out at each pipe joint and found that the smoke was promptly sucked int the pipe through the joints especially where the pipe is put together at the seam leaving at least a 1/16 space. So heres the million dollar question. How much draft would i gain by sealing these joints as in is it worth my while? There is 4 joints. Englander nc13. No OAK (yet). thanx all.

You not only loose draft but your chimney is cooled by fresh air. Not good.
If you have good draft now then the only draft threat is this fresh air could feed a chimney fire. You did not say whether this is cheap single wall that snaps together or the better solid stuff. If its the snap together stuff think about replacing it. Personally I like double wall in the house and I think the idea that you loose heat is wrong headed as the new stoves put less heat up chimney and your stove should heat the house without backup from chimney anyway.
If your leaks are just pipe joints then seal them with stove cement.

yea it is the single wall snap together. No i do not have great draft. Thought about sealing the joints with black RTV not sure how long it would last though.

oilstinks said:
yea it is the single wall snap together. No i do not have great draft. Thought about sealing the joints with black RTV not sure how long it would last though.

If you're gonna seal the pipe I advise you use furnace cement not silicone..

Ray

I woasn't sure if it gave off bad fumes or not. It always worked well to replace header gaskets back when i hot rodded and id say my headers got hotter than my pipe.

I have always sealed the joints with furnace cement. It is cheap and easy to apply. Sometimes it is not needed but we do it anyway, perhaps out of habit, but not a bad habit.

It may not be relevant but............are the sections secured with 3 screws or 4?

-Soupy1957

Do a google search for Mill-Pac black. It is a very high temp sealer that will work on what you have. The rtv silicone won't last. I even tried the Ultra Copper type that is good to 700*. It will heat and pull away.

boatboy63 said:
Do a google search for Mill-Pac black. It is a very high temp sealer that will work on what you have. The rtv silicone won't last. I even tried the Ultra Copper type that is good to 700*. It will heat and pull away.
Wow, that stuff looks way cool. I've been reluctant to seal my pipe joints because it doesn't really seem like I need to, and I envison it kinda flaking out when I pull the pipe apart (the way I do chimney cleaning). I mean, of course it'll have to be replaced in the two places I diassemble the stovepipe, but I imagine it coming loose everywhere. But this stuff sounds like it remains flexible like RTV and will stay put.

Expensive though, and looks like caulking gun tube and unlikely to stay fresh for very long after you first use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.