Losing some ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
This old stove of ours heated the house just fine but I wanted the Englander for the glass in the door.

BB... what a great idea for junk mail!

Thanks! :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
This old stove of ours heated the house just fine but I wanted the Englander for the glass in the door.

Ya know....that's got back bathroom heating potential.....allz it needs is a damper and some gasketing on the primary air door :p

Webmaster said:
We have to come up with new descriptions of our fellow wood burners....

Like: Hard Core (won't turn the furnace on until it gets to the point pipes might freeze).

If anyone ever read "Confederates in the Attic", there are some good stories of Civil War buffs who go out into the field to reenact battles - and the "hard core" - they don't bring anything....even an item of clothes or a blanket, that is modern. Instead they cuddle (called "spooning") with their fellow soliders in the trenches.

We can come up with prizes, like the "Henry David Thoreau" award, for heating a house on less than $25.00 (gas, bar oil, horse feed), per year.

:coolsmirk:

We have a "Penny pincher" in our midst. Won't heat the house above 65 even though he heats with wood.

"Summer lover" for those who heat to 80 degrees plus (like me)! Or would that be "Soft Core?"

We have a "Penny pincher" in our midst. Won't heat the house above 65 even though he heats with wood.

I guess everybody is a penny pincher to some extent but 65 is hardcore penny pinching.

"Summer lover" for those who heat to 80 degrees plus (like me)! Or would that be "Soft Core?"

My wife has converted me to a summer lover (though 81 is my max before a window gets cracked)...as long as the furnace doesn't run i'd say that's hardcore.

Penny pincher - maybe, but it's simply a consequence of my commitment to minimize my use of fossil fuels. When it comes down to it, I'd like to know that I'm heating my house with as much (preferably 100%) renewable energy as possible.

hey bb looks like you over fired that heater and galvy pipe :ahhh:
what's that the side walk heater for the mailman?

I bet BB used his heating bills to start the fire. ;-P

Hey BB, how many beers did it take to put that thing together. :lol:

You're all sissies. :) In college my housemates were so cheap/broke that the thermostat was set to 60 all winter. Gas bill was still over 500/month, although this was for an old, uninsulated 4-story house with 10 students in it. No wood stove, although they did sometimes close off the fireplace room and get it pretty warm.

In the here-and-now, we got down to about 16 the last two nights, and it took some effort to keep the stove room above 70 and the bedrooms above 65. A 50 degree temperature differential is my "magic" number, I've made it up to 60 but that's not sustainable. House could use more insulation and better windows, the usual stuff. Back into the 60's by monday...

The good part is the cold only lasted two days.We are back to globing warming. :coolsmile:

DiscoInferno said:
You're all sissies. :) In college my housemates were so cheap/broke that the thermostat was set to 60 all winter. Gas bill was still over 500/month, although this was for an old, uninsulated 4-story house with 10 students in it. No wood stove, although they did sometimes close off the fireplace room and get it pretty warm.

In the here-and-now, we got down to about 16 the last two nights, and it took some effort to keep the stove room above 70 and the bedrooms above 65. A 50 degree temperature differential is my "magic" number, I've made it up to 60 but that's not sustainable. House could use more insulation and better windows, the usual stuff. Back into the 60's by monday...
And yes i am a SIS after being in a beer truck delivering in the cold for 22 years and being
in a warehouse with no heat i love my stove. :coolgrin:

I might have forgotten to mention that I lived in the basement, with a separate gas heater set somewhat higher than 60 and a heated waterbed. ;-) Still, even though I grew up in the UP, I didn't become truly cold-hardy until the second year in that house when it was below zero what seemed like most of the winter. Suddenly 20 felt really warm.

I thought my heritage was under performing. According to the stories that you guys are telling, it is doing an exceptional job. when it was 5 in ohio 2 days ago, it kept my down stairs at 65-66. I was just tired of freezing my tail off and giving columbia gas half of my 401k every month so I thought I would put it in to help out, little did I know that i would be using it as a primary heat.

My neighbor across the way keeps his house at a constant 80 degrees all season. Whenever I stop in to say hi, he's always wearing shorts and nothing else, not even socks. I leave there sweatin'. Heck, I've seen smoke comin' out of his stack in August! 'Course, he told me the other day he goes through 15 cord a year :bug:

Um, you mean its not ok to walk around in nothing but shorts? Uh, oops. Ugga Ugga

Ya know... so he buys 15 cord a year... he probably has a great repoir with his wood supplier, gets a great deal with volume, pays way less than $120/cord and has it delivered during the off heat season.

Don't know what he/you would pay for electric/gas/oil.. but I bet he is way ahead of the game and he is most confy in his shorts... or is it a SHE? :)

Your neighbor is a very smart guy!!!

BrotherBart said:

Hey BB,

Mind if I copy your design? It's a foolproof way to rid my mailbox of wasp nests. Of course, what's worse on the mailman? -yellow jackets or 500 degrees with secondary burn?

ok I win I don't even have a thermostat just a wood stove not even electric space heaters unless you count the electric range.
what do I win how about $30 electric bills all winter :coolsmile:

I'm paying $150.00 a 3 cord dump truck delivery of cuts. Course I gots to split it, but I need the exercise anyways. I am truly lucky to get wood for $50.00 a cord.
Going for 4 loads next year. $600 for 12 cords. One oil tank fill is more than that.

Hogwildz said:
I'm paying $150.00 a 3 cord dump truck delivery of cuts. Course I gots to split it, but I need the exercise anyways. I am truly lucky to get wood for $50.00 a cord.
Going for 4 loads next year. $600 for 12 cords. One oil tank fill is more than that.
Good price Hog i pay 50.00 @ cord for log length and yours is all-ready bucked.Now thats
the deal. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.