Lost access to wood cutting area...now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
The land I use to cut on has just been sold outside of the family and I no longer have access to firewood. I live in Central, ME. Any ideas on what I should do? I've heard some states have property you can cut on with a permit but haven't heard of that around here. I can get tree length delivered at $120/cord which isn't bad, but I'm use to free (just my time, gas, wear and tear on vehicle etc).

What about slab wood - good idea or no? Every now and then I see it listed for $75/cord.

There is national forest permits as well as permits for most any fed government land, but there is also state permits I have hEARD about on here.

Check with the logging companies to see if there is a scrounge permit. I have seen more wood left at cutting sights and loading areas that is just left to rot.

join the scrounge crowd, more than enough wood out there to be had. Just have to ask!

Reactions: blujacket
I would pay $120 for logs before I payed $75 for slabwood.

Reactions: Nixon
Here in Maine there are a few options . . . I know the State of Maine does offer some permits on state owned land, but I suspect you'll find that this is land downeast or out in western Maine . . . and not very close . . . although I could be wrong.

I have also heard logging outfits allowing folks to come in and clean up after them . . . but again . . . this often means quite a bit of travel.

Scrounging is another option . . . but quite honestly in a state like Maine where so many folks burn wood you may find this challenging.

I think your best bet may be to see if your city (for some reason I was thinking you lived in Waterville or Sidney) and see if they have a Public Works Department and see if they take care of downed trees . . . and if so . . . do they allow folks to come in and scrounge once they've brought the wood to wherever they drop it.

Check with the logging companies to see if there is a scrounge permit. I have seen more wood left at cutting sights and loading areas that is just left to rot.
Unless this is on state or company lands, usually a there is a privite landowner that owns the land and timber. This also depends upon the timber sale type that has occured.

Just saying this could get you in hot water if you dont know the right questions to ask or person to talk to. Most loggers could care less if you pick through the slash pile. But most loggers dont own the land or even have purchased the timber. Most of the time there is a buyer that really retains the rights if it was a lump sum purchase and if was purchased unit price any wood left on site would then revert back to the ownership of the landowner whoever that may be.

Here in Maine there are a few options . . . I know the State of Maine does offer some permits on state owned land, but I suspect you'll find that this is land downeast or out in western Maine . . . and not very close . . . although I could be wrong.

I have also heard logging outfits allowing folks to come in and clean up after them . . . but again . . . this often means quite a bit of travel.

Scrounging is another option . . . but quite honestly in a state like Maine where so many folks burn wood you may find this challenging.

I think your best bet may be to see if your city (for some reason I was thinking you lived in Waterville or Sidney) and see if they have a Public Works Department and see if they take care of downed trees . . . and if so . . . do they allow folks to come in and scrounge once they've brought the wood to wherever they drop it.

I live near Waterville, so you're close. I may have to check into the Public Works Department thing and see about that, not a bad idea.

Most of th larger logging companies dont want private individual cutting on their land due to laibility, some will allow it if you have a very large liability insurance policy. Your best bet is to offer cash to a logger to have a 8 to 10 cord load dropped off.

Just thinking here . . . another possibility would be to check in with Colby College and see what they do with any wood debris that comes down . . . although they might donate it to the Colby College Woodsman Team . . . which I believe may process that wood and sell it as a fundraiser.

That said . . . I think checking with the Waterville Public Works might be one of your best bets . . . although it wouldn't hurt to check in with any city tree services . . . although once again . . . I suspect since so many folks in our area burn wood these companies may be processing the wood and selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.