Lost half my wood hauling rig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
My daughter was on her way to her first day of classes today when she spun out and hit a cement barrier. It was an angled, front end hit, to my '03 Explorer Sport. She has an fracture to her kneecap but should heal fairly quickly. Very grateful for that.

Dora (my girls named it when Dora the Explorer was popular) was leaking radiator fluid as well as transmission fluid, however it does have a transmission cooling system so it may have been that. They are checking it out tomorrow and will let me know what they plan to do with it. I'm guessing, and they were hinting, that it will be totaled out. Sad thing is, she only has 78,000 miles on her and had lots of life left and I finally got a trailer a few months ago so I actually had a wood hauling rig.

The important thing is my girl is OK and Dora can be replaced.

fv

Good to hear she is ok. There is a silver lining in every cloud brother. Maybe there's a nice Ford pickup waiting for you to complete the new duo ;)

Hi Fireview
If the airbags didn't go off,buy it back from the insurance and fix it your self.Then it will still serve it's purpose as a wood hauler and sacrificial car for the kids.As much as we love them, they don't know how to drive and most will damage the vehicles they drive.If you live in or near a big city you can probably get used parts that are the same color as your truck and save painting costs.
You can usually buy it back for 10% of the payout,just make sure to ask for a salvage or rebuild title if they bring it up.
Thomas

Reactions: Beer Belly
Both airbags deployed and they are totaling her out. They are giving me way more than I had hoped for, $3,000 to be exact. I'm grateful she isn't seriously hurt (chipped kneecap) because the rest is simply a chunk of metal, plastic, and fluids. While Dora will be missed I guess I can look forward to a new hauling rig.

fv

with that low of miles, it should be worth more than that.

NADA for my area says $4900 clean retail for the most base XLS 2WD. $1050 premium for the low miles. Glad everyone is OK.

Sorry, I haven't been on for a bit. I've been busy truck shopping. They gave me almost $7,000 for it which is a solid number and a good down payment on a newer truck. I'm going to work a price on an '07 Tacoma Crew Cab which will be more than enough to pull a full load on the trailer.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.