Lost Mister Salem Today, RIP Buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
He wasn't a pet, he lived here.

17 years ago the Dixette was on a trail ride with friends, and kittens came out of the brush and started following the horses. Mewing all the way. Every one of them found a home :)

She carried Salem home on her bike (didn't have a drivers license yet), brought him inside, and that was it.

Covered in ticks, he fit in the palm of your hand.

Talk about a cat with a 'tude ;lol

"Help wanted, inquire with in. Must be able to keep a Fox terrier in line, but avoid swiping at the eyes. Big shoes to fill."

So sorry........

It's never easy, whether it's 2 years or 20 or 60. Condolences. Helps to have a chuckle, though. Your story reminded me of this delightful ad. Rick

It's never easy, whether it's 2 years or 20 or 60. Condolences. Helps to have a chuckle, though. Your story reminded me of this delightful ad. Rick

That's awesome, thank you !!

Condolences here too Dix.

Just curious, how did he get the name "Salem"?

Sabrina the Teenage Witch had a cat named Salem. Same time frame, coulda been twins !

Reactions: loon and fishingpol
Sorry to hear dix, sounds like Salem had a good run of it.

pen

Sorry for your loss. Been through it twice, never easy. they take a part of our heart with them, but what they leave behind is great memories and a lot of love.

Sorry to here that.

17 years is a lot of good memories.

Sorry to hear you lost a friend.

So sorry for your loss. I hope that the 17 years of wonderful memories can fill your soul with joy to help overcome the pain of the grief :(

I feel your loss. Last August our 17 yr. black tom went out and never came back. He always stayed around the house. We live on a dead end rd. surrounded by woods. I think a coyote may have visited.
But, about the same time this little flee ridden starving and nearly bald female deaf cat came stumbling into our yard. We took her in. She doesn't offer to go near the doors! The two labs (100 lbs each) won't go near her.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch had a cat named Salem. Same time frame, coulda been twins !

Condolences for your loss.Pets are family.

Sounds like my Fuzzball.Born November 1995 under storage shed in back,was only survivor of the litter that I know of during that very cold & snowy winter.Ball of fur,he would dart out from under the shed,gradually getting used to me.One cold day the next April he run out where I was close,grabbed him & run inside the house immediately.He fought & clawed all the way,but settled down when I sat him on the basement floor.

Was timid for a couple days,but Sylvester my only cat then just 2 yrs old,made him feel welcome.Half brother Thomas born in garage April 1996,brought him inside the house that December.Fuzzball was diagnosed with diabetes in Feb 2009,had regular glucose checks & insulin twice a day until Sept.2011.Its in remission ever since because vet showed his glucose is in normal range now.Sylvester died after a 2 yr battle with kidney failure Sept 2012,they miss their ol' buddy but are remaining very close,they dont leave each other's sight for long.

Condolences Dixie,
I am sure you will heal in time, and find another feisty feline friend to bat you around.

Sorry to hear about your kitty Dix. About the same age as Snoops was when he died last month.

Sorry to hear about your loss Dix. This has been a rough year for old pets. We lost our special guy in October and so did a neighbor.

Next week we become foster parents for a new cat. He's 7 and has similar black and white markings to our old guy, but that's where the similarity stops. Our Minpin was just 10 lbs. This new fellow is twice that weight. Hope he fits through the cat door. lol

Sorry to hear this Dixie..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.