Lost my Beloved Oggie.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Saturday I lost my best friend, my beloved Oggie. My heart is broken and I don't know how I will recover from this. She was the love of my life and made the worst of times bearable. Now the worst of times are upon me and I don't have my Oggie to ease my pain.
image.jpg

This picture is 3 years ago before she got sick. I hope and pray there is really a Rainbow Bridge and I can't wait.

Last edited:
dang things are some great friends,,,,, but ones that never are around long enough.

Very sorry chief.

Reactions: tfdchief
Thanks Pen. They truly aren't around long enough. I read a piece today where a vet was putting a dog down at a home and after it was over one of the adults commented that they just didn't know why dogs couldn't live as long as humans. The six year old son said I know. He said " humans have to spend their whole life learning how to love and be be nice to people but dogs already know how when they are born, so they don't have to live as long"

Steve, you'll get through this. Many of us have gone through it and we have to accept the fact that they really all have short lives. If there is indeed a doggie Heaven, you know where Oggie will be.

Steve, you'll get through this. Many of us have gone through it and we have to accept the fact that they really all have short lives. If there is indeed a doggie Heaven, you know where Oggie will be.
Oh, I believe Oggie is in heaven. And I intend to get there so I can see her again. There aren't to many things that would make me happier in heaven than my Oggie. Just not something that some people could understand.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
:( I've lost a lot of beloved dogs & cats in my life. I miss every one of them. Of course, there are always lots & lots out there who need homes. Just something to think about. Rick

I was sixty years old when my first pet, ever, adopted me. And I spend a lot of time concerned that something might happen to my little buddy or that she won't outlast me.

Starting to understand some of this stuff.

Last edited:
:( I've lost a lot of beloved dogs & cats in my life. I miss every one of them. Of course, there are always lots & lots out there who need homes. Just something to think about. Rick
Rick, you are so right and Becky and I are looking for our next Oggie. I love the adopted pets the best. Oggie was adopted and in some way they know you have saved them and love you forever!

I was sixty years old when my first pet, ever, adopted me. And I spend a lot of time concerned that something might happen to my little buddy or that she won't outlast me.

Starting to understand some of this stuff.
When we got Oggie I knew she would leave me about the time I would retire and need her most....and now the time is here. It hurts more than I could possibly put in words.

I know Chief. My wife's 18.5 year old constant companion left her a year ago November. A hole in her 68 year old heart that will never fill. The reason I let the little girl hiding in my wood stacks adopt me in the first place. To stand in for her when he passed. But he wanted to kill her anytime he saw her and he lived long enough for her to become solidly "my cat". Still working on making her "our cat". I don't have any practice at this stuff.

Give some lil gal a good home. I now know how it feels.

I tried to think back and count them all, but I may have missed a couple. 7 dogs, all adopted. 7 cats, all strays who decided to stick around. This is over almost 50 years. The biggest the menagerie ever got at any one time was two of each. Now I have one cat. I keep thinking maybe I should get another dog.

To all of you....thank you! it helps so much to share my grief with others, and you all have certainly been there and know how it feels. Thank you so very much for your sympathy and caring. They break our hearts every time! But I guess that is the price we pay for their incredible LOVE. I too have done this many times and I will do it again if I get the chance. What they give is priceless, despite the fact that I would pay any price. Thank God for hearth.com friends. This place is such a great place to share ALL our passions.

I know Chief. My wife's 18.5 year old constant companion left her a year ago November. A hole in her 68 year old heart that will never fill. The reason I let the little girl hiding in my wood stacks adopt me in the first place. To stand in for her when he passed. But he wanted to kill her anytime he saw her and he lived long enough for her to become solidly "my cat". Still working on making her "our cat". I don't have any practice at this stuff.

Give some lil gal a good home. I now know how it feels.
BB, you tell your wife, if it means anything, I know how she feels. My heart is broken and I hope it doesn't kill me. It will never completely heal until I am re-united with my Oggie.

Chief, we are truly sorry for your loss.

Know this, however. I have no doubt of it. Oggie has plans for you. :)

We have friends who had a top-flight retriever, a dog who won national titles. This dog truly lived a Good Dog's Life- in addition to the field trials, his owner was an experienced hunter who hunted with this dog every season for years.

The fact that their dog was an active hunter and working dog did not make him a "kennel dog." That dog slept in their bedroom for almost every night of his life.

After many years longer than a retriever is usually with us, our friends had to let their beloved dog go. He was too sick and in too much pain.

We would bring our dog to see the wife at work, because our dog was still a puppy, and she missed their dog so. "GET ANOTHER DOG!" we said, everybody said. The wife, who is normally completely composed, would break down in tears when our dog ran up to her to kiss her face. "GET ANOTHER DOG!" we all said- but they weren't ready.

Time passed- a good bit of time, time for them to absorb the loss a little- but not too long.

Their baby, over the Rainbow Bridge, and God brought another retriever into their lives.

This poor fellow had been neglected in the worst ways- chained for his entire life, infested with fleas and ticks to the point of open sores, etc. He'd been rescued and rehabilitated by a guy who trains retrievers. The guy's first job was getting this dog back to health. His second task was giving the dog a constructive reason to live by training him- and he found out that he had a really good, smart dog there. His third job was finding him a good home.

Some Good Dog over the Rainbow Bridge took care of that. :)

A friend told a friend who told another friend that there was an empty dog bed and a couple of broken hearts nearby...

... and the rest is history. :) :) <:3~

We now take our Sammy by just to hear all of the new Good Dog stories.

We know it's hard now, but Oggie has plans for you... just you wait and see. :) :) <:3~

Steve . . . I am so sorry to hear about Oggie . . . from your previous posts I know just how much you loved her and like many others I know just what you are feeling. I still miss Theodore Roosevelt who went MIA two years ago . . . every once in a while I tear up thinking about him.

Steve, so sorry to hear about Oggie.

I too know that hole in your heart. When the time is right, a tail wag will let you know.

Big snuffles from Dixie & Matisse, and kisses and a tail wag from the Murph to everyone.

Chief,
I understand your pain. My Buford was taken from me just about 2 years ago. The pain can be just as sharp today as it was the day I had to have him put down. Just reading your post, and understanding how much Oggie means to you, I teared up.

We adopted Buford form a German Shepherd rescue and nursed him back to health. I will never forget the day he decided to trust me completely, and that I belonged to him.

Life does go on, the pain will ease. I take comfort in knowing he will be waiting for me at some time in the future and will be with him forever. Good luck to you.

buford.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, thank you all. Your stories give me hope and I grieve for all of you who have lost your beloved friends as I have. becasunshine, your story is beautiful and I pray it is true.

So sorry to hear of your loss ... love for a dog is like no other love and Oggie looks like he was a really good doggie.

Very sorry to hear you lost a family member. Its a hard road to walk now, but you also had the good times and are better for it.
Godspeed Oggie...

Sorry Steve it is difficult losing a trusted friend.. It's great you and Oggie were able to share time together so cherish those memories..

Ray

i think i must have gotten some dust in my eyes. sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.