Lost one to the wind today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
We had some pretty good winds here last night and a good part of today. I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was look out my bedroom window to make sure all the tree's from my windows view were still upright, everything was a ok, go into my sons room to look out the front to check all the pines and everything looked fine. I was feeling pretty good, I walk into the family room and mention to my wife that is looks like all the trees are making it through the wind when she says "We lost the Bradford Pear". Talk about a downer for my morning, I know these trees are known for breaking but I really liked this tree. Here are a couple before and after shots.

Why couldn't the wind have taken some of the standing dead ash or aspens I need to take down!? :lol:

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 557
  • DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 561
I had a stupid Sumac fall on my shed and camper. I small dent and it cracked the vent which will need to be replaced. Wind was really something. Those bradford pears are prone to splits.

Attachments

• race 006.jpg
    race 006.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 452
  • race 010.jpg
    race 010.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 441
Nuts! I agree it would have been much better to take out one of the dead trees. Although I don't like pears to eat, the trees are still nice until they are cut in half like that one.

My Bradfords don't produce fruit. Nice shaped trees and flower during the spring. Most Hwy Depts have stopped using them due to their propensity to split like that. Doesn't take much.

I am gonna cut up and split the trunk of my sumac that fell - but it's cruddy wood. You can't tell from the picture - but the trunk runs 40 feet into the woods and is the size of a bucket. Splits easy enough. Stinks when it burns.

Yikes sorry to hear about that rdust... yesterday we planted a semi dwarf Bradford pear along with a Bartlett and luscious pear. 18 from Lowes...I just hope they don't get that big. Pretty sure it was a bradford...you needed different one to pollinate.

If you're really ruthless about thinning it I think you can save the tree. Good luck on that.

I hate trees in the yard and I gotta plenty of them to hate.
My downed tree story(s);
We had the famous Labor Day storm some 12 or 15 years ago and that was the day
that god invented the word "tornadic winds." (Stupid word.)
Anyway, I broke out the hard-hat collection for the kids and myself
and we went to work.
They thought it was pretty cool and we got a good picture around here somewhere.
You know how pictures are too.
The widow still talks about the pear that bloomed in front of our red gambrel roof barn.
One of my work horses chewed on it and turned it into smokin' fuel.

wsorg said:
That's a tough loss.

If it made good firewood I wouldn't be as upset! :lol:

Lost two Bradford pears to hurricane Ike.Had it stacked in rounds and split it last month.That's some sweet wood to burn.

rdust said:
We had some pretty good winds here last night and a good part of today. I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was look out my bedroom window to make sure all the tree's from my windows view were still upright, everything was a ok, go into my sons room to look out the front to check all the pines and everything looked fine. I was feeling pretty good, I walk into the family room and mention to my wife that is looks like all the trees are making it through the wind when she says "We lost the Bradford Pear". Talk about a downer for my morning, I know these trees are known for breaking but I really liked this tree.
A friend of mine lives in a neighborhood where they planted Bradford Pears all along the street. Many have had major branches knocked off. She lost one. They replace them with a near- identical variety called the Aristocrat Pear. It has the same growth habit, blooms at the same time, and looks pretty much like a Bradford. They are much more rugged, however, and they will stand up to the winds. You might want to look into that as a replacement. Sorry you lost one.

Status
Not open for further replies.