Lost power today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Well, we lost power today for about 20 minutes. It happened while the wife was away running errands. When she returned she noticed the TV was on and a couple clocks were blinking. Signs that power was lost. However she did not smell any smoke and didn't even notice the haze on the pellet stove glass. When I arrived home from work I noticed the haze over the entire glass not just on the sides and top like it usually develops after a couple days. When I asked if there's was any problems with the stove, it took her a little while to even connect that the stove was running when the power was lost.

I took a dry paper towel and tried wiping the glass. The haze didn't want to come off. Guess I'll just have to use a little more elbow grease when I shut the stove down to clean it next time.

Weird thing is that I was running in room temp manual and the stove relit. The pellet "coals" mist not have completely gone out in the roughly 20 minutes the power was out.

Good news of the day is that we lost power and the house didn't fill with smoke. Or if the stove did leak some smoke it wasn't enough for the house to even smell an hour later.

I have wanted to simulate a power outage by pulling the plug someday but never have. Guess I don't need to worry about it anymore.

Reactions: Hoot23
We have had that happen too and even with only a straight out exhaust with no rise our house does not fill with smoke

I even found out the stove will restart itself and run. I just wish it would run on the level we had it on and not level 1

They sell glass cleaner for wood stoves that works super on the pellet stove windows

Last edited:
Dip a wet newspaper in ash and clean the window with that. Finish up with a dry newspaper.

It's the best stove glass cleaner you can get and it's free!

Dave

I am not worried about getting the haze off at all. Just didn't want to shut the stove down to clean it. Usually just a damp paper towel is enough to clean the glass. I have used a damp paper towel dipped in ash a few times but usually is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.