Lots of ash in my pellet stove chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGrieve

Nov 14, 2015
Wawa Ontario Canada
multifuel.jpg maxresdefault.jpg I have a older Whitfield advantage II pellet stove Model#95051..I have the same chimney set up as in the picture.and my control board is the same as picture 2 and has the same settings ..I am finding the tee with clean out that is outside is full of ash every few days and needs to be cleaned out.Then when I use the chimney sweep every 2 week there is a lot of ash that comes out of the rest of the pipe,is this because my stove in a top feed unit ? I know that when the pellets come down the shoot and fall in the burn pot there is hot ash that fly's in to the air and gets sucked out the pipe Maybe I have the exhaust setting up to high ? I find if I turn it down the glass gets black and the pellets dont burn fast enough so it gets backed up .Is it normal to have lots of ash coming out the chimney ? Its my first year owning a pellet stove so I dont know how they act or if I need to chang the setting differnt ,,Thanks for any info

All signs are pointing to a poor burn. Have you deep cleaned the stove, baffles etc? Are your gaskets sealed nice and tight? Have you cleaned/ oiled the combustion motor? And lastly, what pellets are you burning?

Reactions: Cedarjunki
The Higher combustion speed needed to accomidate dirty pellets.

Its not the fact that its top feed causing the problem. If you had a bottom feed you would be constantly having to scoop out ash instead of the ash being blown away. Some pellets produce lots of ash others hardly any.

View attachment 174612 View attachment 174613 I have a older Whitfield advantage II pellet stove Model#95051..I have the same chimney set up as in the picture.and my control board is the same as picture 2 and has the same settings ..I am finding the tee with clean out that is outside is full of ash every few days and needs to be cleaned out.Then when I use the chimney sweep every 2 week there is a lot of ash that comes out of the rest of the pipe,is this because my stove in a top feed unit ? I know that when the pellets come down the shoot and fall in the burn pot there is hot ash that fly's in to the air and gets sucked out the pipe Maybe I have the exhaust setting up to high ? I find if I turn it down the glass gets black and the pellets dont burn fast enough so it gets backed up .Is it normal to have lots of ash coming out the chimney ? Its my first year owning a pellet stove so I dont know how they act or if I need to chang the setting differnt ,,Thanks for any info
Look at the top endcap and elbow. but understand that the pipes outside are exposed to cold temps and that in turn cools off the exh so the solids settle in the pipe. The idea of going up to create a natural draft draft is good but the better idea is go up inside the house then out the wall. This doesn't expose the pipe and elbows to cold weather.

Reactions: bags
When I bought the stove this summer before I installed it I took a leaf blower to it after I pulled the inside apart so it was cleaned really good and this winter I have took it apart and shop vaced the whold thing 2 times yes I have oiled the 2 fans . Its all most like its getting to much air and blowing the ash up the pipe insted of letting it fall in to the ash pan ..Im useing the pellet from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/...t&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Status
Not open for further replies.