Lots of coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Well its been a few weeks since ive add some pipe. The stove has been burning great. Ive gotten pretty good at keeping it from burning over 650. Ive been getting 5-6 hours of good heat output. Between 300 and 650. Not much heat come off if it below 300. Ive got as much as 9 - 10 between start up and reload around 150 - 200.
But in this cold snap ive been reloading sooner. To keep the heat up. And have been getting alot of coals. To the point of the house getting colder, while waiting for them to burn down. Or digging some out and dumping them so i can reload.
Is this a case of my wood is marginal or my technic is wrong? Or just the nature of the beast?

Nature of the beast for tr most part during cold weather with frequent reloads. One trick is to put a few very small splits on top of the coals and open the air up a good bit.

There have been an abundance of threads on this issue during this last cold snap. The issue is you wanting more from the stove than its normal burn cycle can produce. If your home can't afford to wait that extra hour or so between reloads to let the coals burn down, then you will have excess coals. Your options are to remove the coals, throw a couple quick burning splits on top of the coals, or just let them burn down.

Reactions: 7acres
It was also mentioned to use some soft wood on a half load or so. It will have minimal coals left when helping burn down the other coals. And it will crank out some good heat in the process. May not be an option right now but something to keep in mind for future years. I know I will.

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.