Lots of questions for a New purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also reading installation manuals on various models. With all the windows I have in my house, it's difficult to find a spot where there is 48" clearance from a window. If I'm reading correctly, the accentra requires only a minimum of 9" clearance from a window if the OAK is installed. I will have about 36" in the corner that I'm hoping for. I COULD go through the ceiling. still debating that in my head.
As far as the exhaust goes the simpler the better. I like to see approx. 24 inches outside the wall with a 90 degree elbow on the end. This should be far enough from the wall to avoid soot staining from wind swirling exh against the wall plus the 90 degree elbow will prevent wind from blowing back into the exh pipe causing erratic performance of the stove. I also recommend outside air intake for the stove. It is far cheaper to go straight out the wall rather then up and through the roof.

So true on it being a WAG to recommend a stove. Air circulation certainly plays a large role in how far you can spread the BTU's evenly. Also hard to deny that windows and insulation play a huge role in the calculation. I certainly would rather have a stove that is oversized as opposed to one that is undersized.
One thing to consider is the ability to adjust fuel intake and exh fan speed. If you have a over size stove and try to use it in a low flame mode usually it will end up burning rich and often not very efficient. If you can increase the exh fan speed it will lean out the fuel and air mix so it will burn cleaner. Most stoves have different settings from low to high but being able to fine-tune that larger stove will allow it to run better at a low speed plus when it gets cold you have the extra BTU you need.
Sometimes we also notice the stoves seem to run better when it gets very cold and the stoves seems to burn cleaner then too. Part of that is due to cold air contains more oxygen thus will make the stove burn cleaner.
Back when I first started burning corn/pellets I didn't know about Hearth .Com or I Burn Corn forums and basically learned what a dealer taught me and picked up a lot on my own. There is a lot of stoves on the market and you have to educate your self to find out what your needs are. This is probably the hardest part of finding a stove. Are you home morning and night so you can add fuel and empty the ash often or do you want to be gone for a couple of days and have the house warm when you get home. Do you want it to auto start and have it controlled by a thermostat? Do you like the traditional look or the more modern look? Do you have to worry about lil kids putting their hands on a hot stove? Some are insulated and have a screen that keeps hands off anything hot. Some hoppers are small only holding 45lbs of fuel others can hold 110 or more if you add a extension.
At any rate look at the questions I asked and think about what you want then write down your needs. Then look at whats available in your area. I think most St Croix were a 40,000 btu stove. A Harman PC45 will burn corn or pellets and you can get a kit that would boost the btus to 50,000 if you burned pellets. The dealer I worked with sold both Harman and St Croix and we would take turns burning each one in his display room It was easy to feel the extra 5,000 btu from the Harman.
A good dealer can help you but in the end it will be your choice so study carefully.

I have the St Croix and mother in law has the Harman. I like my St Croix but it gets much dirtier than the Harman. When I am screwing around adjusting air flow the Harman is doing it for her. I spend a good 45 mins cleaning mine and about 20 mins on hers. She could easily go 2 weeks whereas mine is cleaning a weekly or I have a mess. I think the blower on the St Croix distributes the heat better but I am just guessing not having them side by side. I also prefer the thermostat hookup vs the convoluted way you have to hook up the Harman. Just my 2 cents. 6yrs ago when we both bought stoves mine was $2600 and hers was $3600 so I am not complaining.

Reactions: amynrichie
Why not get another Englander? If you have been using a used stove for 8 years with no problems, get another! You can get the parts and the service for both stoves from the same place.

If I knew the quality is great, I would hesitate on changing brands!
Yeah, 8 years with no problems, you will have NO learning curve on the new (Englander) stove.

Bill

I have the St Croix and mother in law has the Harman. I like my St Croix but it gets much dirtier than the Harman. When I am screwing around adjusting air flow the Harman is doing it for her. I spend a good 45 mins cleaning mine and about 20 mins on hers. She could easily go 2 weeks whereas mine is cleaning a weekly or I have a mess. I think the blower on the St Croix distributes the heat better but I am just guessing not having them side by side. I also prefer the thermostat hookup vs the convoluted way you have to hook up the Harman. Just my 2 cents. 6yrs ago when we both bought stoves mine was $2600 and hers was $3600 so I am not complaining.

I find this a very useful comparison, thanks. Currently the St Croix lincoln scs is in the same price range as the Enviro m55 and the harman xxv. (within $100)

If I knew the quality is great, I would hesitate on changing brands!
Yeah, 8 years with no problems, you will have NO learning curve on the new (Englander) stove.
Bill[/quote

You are right, it's been a good stove- we HAVE replaced 2 motors, fiber brick board X 4, and gaskets. All of which my DH has no problem doing the work on. He just ordered parts for it again tonight, more gaskets, and a burn pot. :)

I have no illusions that a stove of any brand won't require the same over the years!

Status
Not open for further replies.