lotsa smoke EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
My EKO 60 has 8 inch insulated pipe all the way and it is 3 and a half feet thru the roof with 10' from anything. I am still getting alot of smoke out my door when I am loading it. Is this normal?My boiler seems to burn ok just pretty smokey when door is open. I always turn off the fan, open the bottom door first, open the damper, then crack the top door and wait but still get a alot of smoke?

Rob

You should have plenty of draft - I get the same thing with the smoke if I open it before it burns down to coals. I'm finding that I just need to leave the door closed and stop opening it all the time. It's like a new toy and extremely hard to just let it burn. I'm thinking of taping a picture of a nice roaring fire to the outside of the door so I'll feel better not opening it so much. I'm just curious it guess.

I hear ya Shannon I called your Dad the other day to talk me down off the cliff I wanted to jump off after trying to learn about these things.

Rob

I have dealt with the smoke issue also. It is hard to not ,open the door and just check . I also had trouble when I started a fire the smoke would just roll out the door . I almost added a draft inducer but after talking to many people it doesn't really seem to help. I did come up with something that has helped a lot. when you look in the eko you realize the flu pipe is the same height or lower than the loading door. so I remembered a stove from when I was a kid , it had a piece of tin on a hinge at the top of the fire box that squeaked every time you added another log. hear is what I did . I got a piece of 1 1/2" square stock at lowes and put it on top of the tubes on the inside of the eko hinged a piece of light steel between them and then cut a u shape piece that covers the hinge and the lets the flapper close to it.I also put a slight bend on the bottom of the flapper. result is the smoke rolls up against it and not out the door. it hangs down 3 1/2" and I used high temp silacone to seal it in . nothing screws to or bolts to the eko The 1 1/2 tube fits tight and the tin and small bead of caulk did the rest . The flapper swings up when you load wood so no real loss except smoke

I too was thinking about the flap that we had on our old wood burner. I just wondered if it would help. Do you have any pictures?

Ill try , every time I try to upload its the wrong size . Let me see where the fire is at and Ill get back to you . It actually does work pretty well

Rob my wife has the camera with her . I can send you a picture later if you like , but it is pretty simple . I will send you an email soon with a scetch. hope it helps. scott

That would be fine, I am at work today and will not be home till Monday morning so when you get a chance you can send me a picture.

Thanks,
Rob

I too have had the same issue with the 25 but it is relieved mostly by letting it burn down to coals before adding wood, only opening top door and adding a few pieces of kindling first to get a flame going resulting in less smoke then chuck the rest of the wood in. I like the idea of the flapper though.

I installed an AD-1 Draft inducer for the smoke problem and it is a huge improvement. I open the flap, turn the inducer on high and open the door slowly. There are times during the burn that it is smokier than others, like early in the baking cycle of recently added wood. I actually anticipated the problem and had the draft fan in place before my first fire.

My WOOD GUN had the flap in the loading door but I think it was there mostly to preserve the operator's eyelashes, eybrows and beard. It really liked to flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.