loud combuster bypass on bk princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky8443

Burning Hunk
Apr 22, 2014
Glenside, PA
Love my stove. Only major complaint is the noise associated with closing the bypass. It's like the shot heard round the world every night throughout the house (sleeping kids). Anyone else notice this? Related to noise, has anyone noticed that the blower on the insert unit is sometimes smooth but other times it rattles very loudly? Its very random.

What's the noise when closing the bypass?

Squeaky? Slams shut?

If it's just slamming shut you could hold the handle and let it down easy.

It shrieks loudly when I lower it and then it bangs loudly when pushed all the way down. I try to close it as easy as possible, but still loud as hell.

I'm afraid the only way to solve this issue would be to pull the insert out.

Sounds like some cleaning, graphite lube, and adjustment of the hinge would be your only real option.

I'm afraid the only way to solve this issue would be to pull the insert out.

Sounds like some cleaning, graphite lube, and adjustment of the hinge would be your only real option.
Interesting. Guess I'd have to have the dealer do it? Is that standard for a new insert? Thanks for the info.

I honestly couldn't speak as to the insert, I have a Princess free stander.

I can only say that my free stander does not make any noise compared to what you describe.

Someone with a BK insert will probably be along soon.

Mine has the metal on metal squeal while flipping the lever I suspect it's normal and the rod goes right through the file area if I'm not mistaken so you would need some killer high temp grease for it to last

The bypass on my woodstock fireview gets stiff about once a season. I slather some high temp anti-sieze goop that is meant for threaded parts on the offending metal parts - fixes it for the season.

I never really think about it but I guess it is kind of loud. Heck, its a steel door closing. I only hear it once a day and its necessary... If it was my loading door making that noise I would think something is wrong. My blower does not rattle but I have only used it a few times.

Remember guys, the insert has a funky cable deal to operate the bypass plate since the handle is up front. The bypass door closes onto a gasket so the hit shouldnt' be loud. When you shut the bypass all the way it sort of thunks into a detent position locked down. That thunk is sometimes loud and sometimes quieter but always audible on my freestander.

There is no reason to have the insert pulled out.
The thunk you are hearing is the bypass locking shut, it's just part of it and there's no changing it. The pulley system comes coated in graphite lube and is accessible if you remove the right side panel.
The blowers are rubber mounted and don't seem to be perfectly balanced at every rpm. They have a few spots where they want to vibrate. When it does, see what is rattling. It's usually the louvers on the air mate. Sometimes it's the shroud if its not tight against the fireplace face.

Ricky and Webby,
My appologies for my reply. Turns out I may have benefited more anyone from this post.

I have been running my stove under the impression that the bypass door sealed under its own weight so that's why I thought something bad must be wrong for it to be making a wake the kids noise.

Once I realized (from reading this thread) I was wrong, I tried to push the bypass handle down further. It was so hard to seal shut that I gave up on it thinking I was going to break something. Long story short, when I finally did push it down hard enough to seal, it was loud! Now I know.lol

On the bright side I now get some ghost flames now and then and no occasional puffs of smoke from the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.