Loud Noises Breckwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly

Oct 5, 2008
Maine
I have a Breckwell Big E that started making some odd noises this week. When I run the stove on 4 for about an hour the noise starts. Wish I could describe it; kind of like a vibration but it isn't a vibration. The noise doesn't stay constant, it comes and goes.

Anyway, if I turn the stove down to 3 the noise stops after 15 minutes or so. I cleaned the fire box, removed the plates and cleaned behind the firebox, removed the right panel and it was clean as a whistle in there. Tried removing the left panel but the screws just spin around and I can't remove the panel. Emptied the hopper to make sure the auger wasn't jammed up with something too.

Tonight I was running the stove on 3 and the noise started where it had been making noises on 4. Turned it down to 2 and the noise went away. Hmmm. Any ideas? Called Breckwell but they're closed on Sat.

The stove was installed in Sept and I clean it often.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

I have had my Big E for 4 heating seasons now , and I still get strange noises to this day lol. You said that
one of the panels screws are striped out , which means they will not tighten , which will cause a vibration
noise. Remember that the Big E is a big metal box , with 3 motors , 2 blowers . It is bound to make some noise lol
I have almost never ran my stove on # 4 probably less then 24 hours in the 4 years in service . My lid makes noise
on the hopper I put a brick on it to quiet it down , my side panels make noise when the screws are not tight , the metal pops , I can hear the auger turn . Big E's make noise . Some people need to know where each noise is
coming from for peace of mind , and there is nothing wrong with that .

Thanks for replying. This is a new noise. I have been using pellet stoves since the early 90's but my first Breckwell. I don't get hopper lid vibrations or anything like that, the stove has been relatively quiet. I'm used to the stoves and the noises they make but this is a new noise and concerns me a little.

As an aside, I live on an island in Downeast Maine and 4 is a necessity at times, especially when it's 20 below before windchill.

Back to the noise: the stove was not making any strange noises until the past week. It's almost like a vibration but it isn't. If you can imagine a sound kind of like a vibration coupled with a sound that at times is almost shrill, like the peepers in spring at full tilt. It appears to come from the back left of the stove.

Thanks for you help!

ETA mild complaints about Maine weather : )

If you set the fan on high does the noise get louder? Sometimes the convection
fan gets dust on the blades which will cause a "whine". The stripped screw should be replaced.

Talk about speedy replies!

No, the noise doesn't get louder when I put the fan on high.

I plan to replace the screws, one was stripped on the R side as well.

Thanks for helping out...

Once you seem to have everything tight. If it still makes noisy. Check the noise to see if it might be the auger.

My BigE was loud also. Was the worst on the 4-5 settings. The noise was not all the time. My auger was the loudest. I watched the auger feed light and the noise matched.

I had to pull it all apart to clean and lude the assembly. Seemed to quit it down a lot. I used 30 wt. motor oil on the shaft bushings. Not to much tough! I had a lot of fines in the bottom bushing and on the motor. I think it was from the cheap pellets I was using at the time.

Hope this helps.
jay

Is it coming from the circulation blower?

Eric

I have been wondering if it's the convection blower; is that what you mean ?

Oh, and it seems to have no correlation with the auger/ feed as Jay suggested (good thought though!)

molly said:
I have been wondering if it's the convection blower; is that what you mean ?

Oh, and it seems to have no correlation with the auger/ feed as Jay suggested (good thought though!)

Well, Your narrowing it down. Keep plugging at it, You'll get it.

I'm glad it wasn't the auger. Was a pain to do!

Did the fixing the loss screws work??? Did you try the brick on the lid???

My lid made a racket at times too. I glued come 3/16 rope gasket to the sill with high temp silicon. Got the rope gasket at the local stove shop. smallest they had.

keep us posted.
Jay

Yes the blower on the left side of the stove, looking at it. I would bet your bearings are about to go out but the noise will just get worse. A new blower is around $180 plus shipping. I have them in stock.

You can try cleaning it but once the bearings start to go that is it.

Eric
330-448-0300

Hi Jay and Eric:

Jay: I don't get rattling around the hopper lid or anything like that. If I do, I have plenty of bricks! : ) No, fixing the screws didn't change a thing. I sincerely appreciate your help--you had some great ideas.

Eric: A friend of mine suggested the bearings as well. It's a new stove! I just got it over the summer and have only been running it since November. Bah. He's coming by to take a look. Here's hoping the warranty covers the blower, if that's what it is. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, guys, this is a great place to get help!

With all the trials you had, You know that stove better. And it didn't cost you much either.

Hope it all goes well for you.
Jay

I said I'd report back: the convection blower is gone on it. Breckwell wouldn't send the part, said I had to call the internet company I bought it from. They directed me to the distributor. Long story short: the part is supposed to ship Monday.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.