Loud thud and floor shakes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

libertyridge

Dec 23, 2011
maryland eastern shore
Sitting here reading on forum, waiting for coals to burn down before overnight loading, when I hear loud thud from the stove. I could actually feel floor vibrate. No wood fell, no sparks, vent fan still running, and everything looks good. Stove is hot, but not too hot. I think it was a piece of the decorative front shifting...hopefully. Anyone else's stove like to make loud random noises?

I'm convinced mine pass's gas sometimes!

I get all sorts of dings and knocks from time to time with my insert. No big deal.

I get lots of small creaks, moans, whines, knocks, dings, pings, and thunks anytime I touch the T-stat and for some time after. Especially when it's a big Tstat change... Every once and a while when I'm heating it up from cold or going from Low-High I'll hear some louder noises. The wood I'm burning tends to make a lot of popping and booming noises as it burns. I don't notice it at all on 1. When I sleep I do hear splits falling and moving around, but never anything to scare me or vibrate a floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.