Loudest / Carbon Monoxide Detector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klain

Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Which is the loudest Carbon Monoxide detector( battery operated )? Seems to be a sleeping though alarms issue. Will be adding another. Have 4 detectors for a 3 level home. Is 8.5 DB the loudest?

If you have a CO detector going off now, call the fire dept. and have this situation checked out right away.

klain said:
Which is the loudest Carbon Monoxide detector( battery operated )? Seems to be a sleeping though alarms issue. Will be adding another. Have 4 detectors for a 3 level home. Is 8.5 DB the loudest?

I believe you will find that most manufacturers will have similar volumes and tones to meet standards for certification.

I think that if you are having issues with sleeping through the carbon monoxide detector alarm you may find that one day you will not have this issue. I would highly recommend that you resolve the problem before you go to sleep again, otherwise dont worry about it because you may not be waking up to have to deal with it. On a positive note, all of your other worries and problems in your life will go away also. And if the stove goes out because you were busy being dead dont worry about it, you probably won't feel it too much.

I had that problem with the smoke detectors in this place. My wife couldn't hear one on the first floor with the TV on in the bedroom much less if the one in my office in the basement went off. I installed wireless interconnected detectors on all three floors and now if one goes off they all go off. Hard to miss from the backyard even.

They make interconnected CO detectors too. I just don't use them since we have CO detectors in every bedroom and one on each lower floor.

I agree, your co detector should never go off unless there is something wrong in your house or the co detector is bad. I would get a new one and if it still goes off, call the fire department. Most of them have sensors that can trace the source and you can get the problem fixed. you may have a draft problem or a furnace that is not getting enough oxygen because of closed door and no air source. either way it could kill you, nothing to mess around with !!!!

If you are looking for a really loud co detector get one that is tied into a security alarm system. the CO could then trip in the basement and ring an alarm sounder in the living level very loud.

I have a Kidde that is loud as heck. Note however, that it's battery backup, not full battery power. Actually quite annoying when it goes off for "low battery" alarm. (Never had it cry for actual CO, fortunately.)

Status
Not open for further replies.