Love Having a Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xjcamaro89

Feb 1, 2011
New Castle, PA
So im going into my second season of buring. Last year was awesome with not completely seasoned wood that i had, but this year, the wood it set to go. I have a Century Heating non-high efficient stove. Its basically just a fire box with a baffle. Which is fine for me because I dont burn through the night because of the location of the stove is on a finsihed porch that is seperated from the house by our main door that has the dead bolt in it. So when I burn in the evenings i want it quick and hot to get the room up to temp fast so i can start circulating it into the house. My house is not very big and one of those entry way fans that you mount in the top corner of the door frame has proved to work very well. I also replaced 6 out of the 8 windows in my house and added insulation in the attic. We run the stove in the evenings and it keeps the porch and adjacent kitchen and living room toasty while raising the rest of the house to 66-68* which is nice. I also have a oil furnace that works during the night and during the day. But as of right now with the new windows and insulation, temps in the house have not gone below 60* when left during the night and then through the day, and we have had alot of nights in the 30's over the past couple weeks. So i havent even turned the furnace on. Im going to see how far i can go into the season before i have to.

Now last year was my first year burning. If went fine and we were plenty warm. But i knew that i wasnt burning correctly and i could be doing better. Well i learned quite a bit over that first year. I learned that supercedars are awesome for constant starting of fires almost everyday, alot better than some newspaper and twigs like i started out with. I didnt have any temp guages last year, now i have one on the flue and the stove top. I moved the flue damper out the collar of the stove where it was restricted from closing more than 70% to right above the collar in the stove pipe, so now i can close it down pretty good. I also cleaned the chimney once a month just because. And ive just really learned about how the stove runs in general.

So with my guages and a couple of those tiny changes in my setup, i found a good start up procedure for my stove thart works really well. I start a fire using a chunk of a supercedar. i leave the door cracked a hair to aid in the starting and until i see flue temps start to rise. I then put a few more peices in and shut the door, leaving the flue wide open. I let that burn until i see the flue temps are in the burn range on my guage (i forget the temps) and my stove top is 500-600*, then i put a few more peices in shut the flue damper just about the whole way closed, the fire actually really calms down and looks really nice and controlled, and the flue temps and stove temps just cruise for quite a while, even when the wood looks like its barely burning towards the end. Then once it all drops, i load it back up again. And its runs nice like that. Now i know last year i was burning way to hot because of the lack of being able to shut the flue damper almost all the way, i could just tell cause it smelled really hot. Now my burn times are only about 1.5-2 hrs max on a load, but to me a load in the stove is about 2-3 peices of slab wood, so to burn till the house gets really nice and toasty no matter what the temp is outside only takes me maybe 3 loads a evening at the max and no more than 8 peices of slab wood total. And at $15 a truck load, we are talking cents to heat my house warmer than oil. Which is awesome!

Now if i would make my porch more secure i might think about replacing the stove with a high efficient one and leave the door from the porch to the house open all the time and load her up at night and in the morning and never use oil again! But im scared about leaving it go for 9+ hrs during the day when no one is there. Buit that is in the future, right now im cruising just fine!

Thanks for listening.

Good for you. Have a warm and toasty winter.

I'm on my 3rd season and I'm still scared to leave the house for any length of time (with the stove going). Don't know why, but I guess I'll get over it someday.

xjcamaro said:
My house is not very big and one of those entry way fans that you mount in the top corner of the door frame has proved to work very well. I also replaced 6 out of the 8 windows in my house and added insulation in the attic.

So with my guages and a couple of those tiny changes in my setup, i found a good start up procedure for my stove thart works really well. I start a fire using a chunk of a supercedar. i leave the door cracked a hair to aid in the starting and until i see flue temps start to rise. I then put a few more peices in and shut the door, leaving the flue wide open. I let that burn until i see the flue temps are in the burn range on my guage (i forget the temps) and my stove top is 500-600*, then i put a few more peices in shut the flue damper just about the whole way closed, the fire actually really calms down and looks really nice and controlled, and the flue temps and stove temps just cruise for quite a while, even when the wood looks like its barely burning towards the end. Then once it all drops, i load it back up again. And its runs nice like that. Now i know last year i was burning way to hot because of the lack of being able to shut the flue damper almost all the way, i could just tell cause it smelled really hot. Now my burn times are only about 1.5-2 hrs max on a load, but to me a load in the stove is about 2-3 peices of slab wood, so to burn till the house gets really nice and toasty no matter what the temp is outside only takes me maybe 3 loads a evening at the max and no more than 8 peices of slab wood total. And at $15 a truck load, we are talking cents to heat my house warmer than oil. Which is awesome!

Now if i would make my porch more secure i might think about replacing the stove with a high efficient one and leave the door from the porch to the house open all the time and load her up at night and in the morning and never use oil again! But im scared about leaving it go for 9+ hrs during the day when no one is there. Buit that is in the future, right now im cruising just fine!

Nice post. My first thoughts are on the little fans to move the air. They can help a lot and you might get even more help with a small desktop fan sitting on the floor of a hallway or doorway blowing the cool air into the stove room. It works!

On the burning. Leaving the draft full open until the stove top reaches 500-600 degrees is not necessary. It is actually a waste of wood and heat as most of the heat has gone up the chimney. Then after doing this you add more fuel and close the draft! You can do better. Here's one example: this morning it felt a bit cool in the house so I started a fire. Yes, I used 1/4 of a super cedar to start the fire. Within about 10 minutes I turned the draft down to about half open. What this does is keep more heat inside the stove rather than up the chimney so the stove heats up much faster.

Another thing. When you add wood, you should not immediately close the draft. Wait until that new wood is charred (maybe 5-10 minutes depending on the wood) before turning down the draft. That is, when adding wood, it is good to open the draft first and then wait a minute or at least a little bit before opening the firebox door. Add the wood, close the door and leave the draft full open until the wood is charred before dialing down the draft.

And do you really want the draft fully closed?

1.5-2 hours is not a very long burn! You should be able to do much better than that.

Why would you be concerned about leaving a stove heating while you are gone for 9 hours? Same question for when sleeping? After all, you no doubt have a furnace that you heat with and you leave the house. That furnace has a much hotter fire than a wood stove does. Personally I would not heat with wood at all if I could do it only for a few hours to a time. We don't even have a back-up furnace. Our wood stove gives us 100% of our heat and it does not bother us in the least to leave the house when the stove is hot. All we do is double check to make sure there is enough wood in the stove and that the draft is set correctly.

One more thought is on the wood. To get longer burn times you need something other than slab wood. Also, do you know what wood that is? When getting slab wood it is still important to know what type of wood you are getting and how dry that wood is. Also, if you insist on burning slab wood, I'll still advise you to buy it a year in advance. That will assure you that the wood is dry. This way you won't have to clean the chimney as often and you'll get a much better fire. Perhaps that is the reason you are burning the way you are is because the wood you are burning is green wood and not dry. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better fires you get and how much more heat you get with dry wood.

Good luck.

Trktrd said:
I'm on my 3rd season and I'm still scared to leave the house for any length of time (with the stove going). Don't know why, but I guess I'll get over it someday.

No need to be scared. After all, your furnace has a much bigger fire than your wood stove. All you need to do is make sure the draft is set correctly (double check) before leaving the house. To us it is sort of second nature as we've done this for so many years. Besides, the wood heat is our only source of heat; we don't have a furnace. Use that stove the way it was intended to be used.

How do you get over it? Pick a day when you are to be home all day. Stock that stove up and let it burn all day without touching it. Do that a couple times and you should be able to rest easy.

BackWoods Savage, I just read your reply on Wood Burning and can't wait until my stove is installed this week. I will have the time to try your methods and getting my house Toasty. In order to keep the chill out of my home right now my furnace is kicking on every ten minutes it seems!

I am looking forward to mastering my stove and keeping that metal box radiating heat for me and my family.

I hope to get my moisture meter in the mail today. I am curious the moisture content of Oak I purchased and hope I can start burning with it. I have on order 6 face cord of Ash and that is due here in a week or two. If this load of Ash is good I plan on ordering an additional 6 face cord. I want to get as much wood on my property so it will start to season for next year.

Thank God for my Little Polish wife that does the work of 3 men. She has been my back since I herniated my disk this past November. Good things do come in small packages and thats my Little Polish wife...

Take care and thanks for all the great info BackWoods Savage

Fredo

Greeings, Glad I found this site. I've always heated with wood. We just installed a stove in our other place and am getting to know this stove. When I get up with how to post pictures I'll post some to see if I can find others who have this make stove. [There is a steel plate that comes with this stove that I'm not sure of it's proper position in the firebox].

Glad you are enjoying your stoves!

Richard

I'm on year 2, and I never understood the lessons about the draft and closing it down properly to keep heat in, until I spent more time on the site. That advice given with the air control is solid and makes all the difference for getting a hot fire with secondaries dancing. I always got that before by burning like a beast and then when I had enough coals, I could get those secondaries, but that's a costly way to operate as it consumes much more fuel, and at the least even if free is more labor.

Valley Ranch, welcome to Hearth.com

I just joined and really enjoy this website. The individuals that I have met on this website are very nice and are a ton of help. I am waiting for my stove to be installed either tomorrow or Thursday of this week. I am looking forward to heating my home with wood/stove compared to the astronomical cost of Propane.

Enjoy

Fredo

Fredo said:
Valley Ranch, welcome to Hearth.com

I just joined and really enjoy this website. The individuals that I have met on this website are very nice and are a ton of help. I am waiting for my stove to be installed either tomorrow or Thursday of this week. I am looking forward to heating my home with wood/stove compared to the astronomical cost of Propane.

Enjoy

Fredo

The folks here are wicked friendly . . . and generally helpful . . . and you're right Fredo . . . this is an enjoyable site . . . I spend more time here than any other website.

Looking forward to seeing your new stove in place . . . hopefully soon!!!

Jake, my wife picked up all the stove chimney components today and stove is going to be installed by Thursday. Thank God for my Lil woman. With my herniated disk I can't lift ANYTHING. That's another long story my friend.

I can tell you this, I finally received in mail, my General Moisture Meter and it's a handy tool. The oak face cords that I purchased last week measured between 10-12 percent. The gentlemen that I purchased oak from said that I would be able to burn that oak and my meter confirmed that, nice!

The last face cords they sold me measured around 15-16 percent. They told me that these face cords were not seasoned as much as the first and meter confirmed that for me, also.

I knew that these kind gentlemen that I purchased oak from were honest with me from the start and I am greatful for that.

Unless there are some tricks to measuring moisture in wood that anyone can tell me this was a great purchase for a newbie like me.

Take care my friend

Fredo

Thanks Fredo but there are many on this site with more knowledge than I have. Now on that herniated disc problem, many of us have had the problem and some still have the problem. Yes, having a good wife makes things go so much nicer. Not sure what I would do without mine for sure and just remembering the 3 back surgeries is enough to make me shudder but very thankful for having a good woman.

As I've stated before, good luck on that oak but I doubt it will be. The ash, well, if you have to wait for it, perhaps it has not yet been cut. So, you may struggle to get through your first year and I wish you luck.

BackWoods Savage,

The ash is in the process of being cut and you are correct it will be touch and go trying to burn this season. I at least have some oak that I will be able to burn in the mean time. As I mentioned the last few
face cords of oak read high moisture content and it is tucked away in my pole barn until next season.

I have been talking about putting in a wood stove for years and I finally decided to do it now. I knew that majority of wood that I am purchasing would not be seasoned enough but I had to start somewhere.

I believe in miracles BackWoods and I hope that I will be able to burn for the majority of winter. Only time will tell my friend...

Since you and I are neighbors and not far from one another I was wondering if you or anyone you know of has seasoned wood for sale? I would really appreciate it....

Fredo

Fred, we probably have enough to sell a bit if you need it but it is still quite a distance. Do you have a way to haul it?

Status
Not open for further replies.