Love my new Fiskars X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shawn Curry

Jul 7, 2014
Western NY
I considered buying one of these a while ago. After seeing how many of you hand splitting guys were using them, I couldn't resist any longer.

Ran through some rather ugly maple odds and ends to clean up my work area before I started into the ash I hauled last weekend. Then I got through maybe 1/2 face cord of the ash in about an hour and a half.

It's lighter than my old Home Depot 4lb splitting axe, buts its way more solid. The first over strike with the Home Depot one busts the head loose. It's gonna take a lot more to bust this one.

That X27 is a game changer for sure. I have split close to 5 cords with it and it just wont quit!

It makes most of the other mauls look bad and everyone I tell about it just rolls their eye..... Until they swing it.

Its no match for hard maple though, but then what is.

I have a hydraulic splitter now but I still break out the x27 to split some ash or red oak, it's a pleasure. Oh and good exercise.

Sometimes the X27 doesn't have the sharpest edge from the store. Take a few minutes with a wet stone and hone the edge and you'll really see some splitting!

Do you guys find that the edge gets fairly rough at each splitting session. I have 3/4" plywood under my splits but small nicks and burrs turn up in the edge after the session. I simply file them then re-sharpen with fiskars sharpener then apply light coating of wd40. No big deal but was just wondering if everyone else was experiencing the same thing. The other think I like about the fiskars x27 is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. Very quality product in my opinion.

That X27 is a game changer for sure. I have split close to 5 cords with it and it just wont quit!

It makes most of the other mauls look bad and everyone I tell about it just rolls their eye..... Until they swing it.

I was one of those guys until I got one. I'm still impressed. I'm at 6 cords hand split and counting.

i have the 27 and the 25 - the 25 is a little small for me but still gets the job done when you need it. It lives in my Ute so comes in handy for the side of the road scrounges you cant lift.

the edge gets fairly rough at each splitting session.
Yes. Same as you I file it and then sharpen.

It is a great tool when razor sharp.

I love mine, and it splits all of the straight grained stuff at my house.

it splits all of the straight grained stuff at my house.
The 8# will tear up just about anything, but the Fiskars definitely has a place in the lineup for easy-splitting stuff. Mine fell off the quad in the woods somewhere. I hope I see it before it gets totally buried by leaves this fall...

I was skeptical at the rave reviews the X27 got when I was researching (when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is), but have been blown away by my X27 since I bought it. For the price, it is an amazing tool!

After breaking my third :)mad:) wood handle, and knocking the head loose of the epoxy on the fiberglass handle, I got the x27 off amazon. I was able to muscle through some nasty hardwood stuff the other mauls just wimpered at.

I think I know what I'm getting my dad for Christmas now ;lol

Reactions: Jon1270
Had to tell this little story...I went camping 2 weekends ago for my bachelors party, there was about 18 guys out in the middle of nowhere for the weekend and I brought my Fiskars x27 to split up any wood we cut to burn. Just about everyone there first laughed at it, but then had to give it a try at least once during the weekend. I may have even made a convert of a guy who spent big money on his Stihl maul.

It was funny watching everyone's technique going at some large black locust rounds. I watched 10 different guys puffing up their chests and trying to split them right down the middle with no luck. Then I went up and just took splits off the edges, and had 3 large rounds split up in a few minutes that everyone else had spent the past hour trying to crack!

There's definitely some technique and finesse that needs to go into using the x27. That took some getting used to, especially since the credo for traditional mauls is "whack it harder". Splitting off edges, hitting the same spot on successive swings, and using a chopping block all add up to a pleasant experience with the x27. I carry both that, and an 8lb wedge on a stick that will break the knotty stuff, and between the two, have only a very few logs that I'll need to borrow a hydraulic splitter for.

I was skeptical at the rave reviews the X27 got when I was researching (when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is), but have been blown away by my X27 since I bought it. For the price, it is an amazing tool!

What convinced me was the video on their website showing their overstrike vs. standard mauls/axes. My son is getting to that age where he is almost big enough to help. This way, it is light enough for him and if he swings long (which we all do, especially when learning) then it is no skin off my back.

What convinced me was the video on their website showing their overstrike vs. standard mauls/axes. My son is getting to that age where he is almost big enough to help. This way, it is light enough for him and if he swings long (which we all do, especially when learning) then it is no skin off my back.

A friend of mine was watching me split and getting cocky so I let him take a swing - full wind up, way long, TWANGGGG! He dropped the Fiskars and whined about his hands. I think the X27 was laughing harder than myself!

It failed to impress me when i tried one last year. Just don't get the appeal.

Forgot to mention, it's also apparently a pretty good zombie apocalypse survival weapon: http://azombieblog.com/store/product/zombie-weapon-review-fiskars-7884-x27-super-splitting-axe/
I could see this--it doesn't get stuck in the wood like other axes. So it stands to reason that you could take out a bunch of zombies without getting the thing wedged into a skull. I think I might set up several rounds next time I am splitting and play zombie attack. Seriously though, I've been using the x27 for about 4 yrs and it still works like a charm.

Reactions: osagebow
Love my x27- got the last load and a half of my chestnut oak scrounge split on site, impressed the heck out of the neighbors. Getting good at keeping the edge out of the dirt by kicking a split in front of a round and landing the head there, or by choking up and splitting at 3/4 power.

it doesn't get stuck in the wood like other axes
I don't know what you're cutting, but if I don't get a split right away, my x27 is going to be stuck in the wood, sometimes bad enough I have to lay the log over, stand on it, and lever the axe back out. Whatever "non stick coating" was on the head vanished after an hour working up shagbark hickory.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Ultimately it's a simple tool for a simple task, no axe or maul is going to revolutionize manual splitting. I love mine, but can use it a lot more effectively than I could 8 cords ago. When it comes to successful hand splitting, it's the archer, not the arrow.

Yeah I like to keep mine razor sharp, but when it doesn't pop right away, it can get pretty stuck. I agree that it's the archer, not the arrow, but I find the construction superior to other axes and mauls I've used. The handle wraps around the head, so there's less chance of it coming loose. The two Home Depot axes I had are now wedges, because the axe heads came loose on the first overstrike. Again, that is operator error, but on some larger rounds, if the "splitting blow" doesn't happen on the "near" side, you can still end up bashing the handle like an overstrike.