Love My New Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
IMG_0997_zpsljkels4h.jpg

I got it installed 2 weeks ago. The house it is in is not quite finished, still got a little cold air blowing in near the windows. Still, I have fired it up for all-day burns three or four times.
What a beautiful wood stove! I have been burning wood stoves for 40 years but never had one as beautiful and as easy to control as this one. My stove pipe must be just right because I can easily run it at 350 degrees, and I can run it at 650 degrees.
The view of the fire is outstanding.
Thank you forum members. I was shopping around a year ago and in part due to advice from this forum, I picked the big Norwegian stove.

Evidently, the stove is still manufactured in Norway. My wood stove dealer in Asheville NC was not sure if it was still made entirely in Norway but, the shipping crate showed that it was manufactured March of this year, and it had Norwegian writing on it, so he and I figured that it came off the boat intact from Norway. I had heard that they were going to continue to cast the iron in Norway, but the stoves would be assembled in Maine.

Last edited:
Welcome brother to the Fraternal Order of the Oslo's. Sounds like you got her dialed in. It takes a bit of wood to get her hot, but when you do, she so easy to run. Be careful with the ash door. You get ash in back of the pan, which prevents closing the door. The air through the ash door will runaway the stove. My wife and the fire dept. can tell you all about it. The side door cracked open to get the burn going is fine.

The castings done in Norway and shipped to Maine for assembly was what I understood when I bought mine 15 years ago. That could have changed.

Nice stove I'm on year five with our Oslo and just can't say how much I love it I work on transmission lines for a living so those cold stormy nights when I come home I love when the wife has it burning hot I will even sleep next to it after those long sixteen hour days once it is up to temp it you see it is a beast of a stove I rarely use the front door other than to put large rounds in for a long cold night burn the side door will be the easiest to use for loading but found a trick before you open front door pull as much ash away from the door then with what ever vacuum you use to clean ash use as you very slowly open front door also helps to have side door cracked prior to all this it will make the ash very easy to clean and not spill every where but I'm sure you can figure it out just don't use ash pan door for getting the fire going if this needs to be done then your wood is not dry enough every year you use it you will get more use to it but any ways nice stove welcome to the jotul group

Be careful with the ash door. You get ash in back of the pan, which prevents closing the door.

I've got a scraper that works very well. It's made from 1/8" plate stock (1.5" x 5") welded onto a typical poker. It's invaluable for scraping ash out of the back recesses, which prevents ash pan from jamming and keeping the ash pan door from closing.
It just fits diagonally between the side of ash house and the raised ridge on bottom of ash house.

Even if ash pan does get stuck, you can always remove the ash pan, close the ash pan door; take ash pan outside to safe spot; and clean out ash house when cooler.

Looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.