Love that Norway maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
I'm just starting on a cord of Norway maple that I split about a year-and-a-half ago. It's been dropping into the 20s and 30s overnight here, so I thought I would see how it burned overnight. This is my first time with Norway maple.

Great stuff!

I'm filling the Freedom maybe 3/4 full, and the fan is still running after 10 hours overnight. It gives out good heat.

I will definitely burn this again.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like Norway Maple too. It splits easy, seasons quick, burns long and hot. The only (slight) drawback is I remember it leaving behind a lot of ash.

I've got a huge Norway Maple in my front yard, with a very large branch growing over my house. I'm having that branch removed in a couple of weeks...the tree guy will cut it into rounds and leave it for me, along with another (oak) trunk he's taking down.

I'll be splitting the wood later this year...my first time! :)

I used some nice seasoned norway last year. Good stuff, I just got a half cord of norway this year. Rounds were sitting a year. I'm waiting to try it out.

I have them as yard trees. Crimson King Norways.
I had to thin a few years back and Im facing it again. My house smells musty from all the shade they give off.
The wood is very nice for burning. But very limby.
The trees become very invasive once they reach a mature size. And there is probably alot of tree service companies that cut alot down. Its probably a top selling nursery tree.

I have burned about 6 cords of Norway maple in the englander it is a widely avable wood in my area ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383172110.519370.jpg cut this one a few weeks ago at my house with my aray of chain saws hahaImageUploadedByTapatalk1383172176.676547.jpg

Reactions: NYLumberjack914
If I had that many saws the bars would look that good to.

"The trees become very invasive once they reach a mature size"
I guess that's because of the way they spread out?
I have 3 in my grove and thats the way they grew.

Never burned any yet but I'm taking a dying one out at my SIL's new place. Only about 10" or so but I'll get enough wood to burn quite a few loads and see how it does....

No don't sell saws haha I just accumulate saws from family members and my work gets new saws every few years so I get them at a good price the 372xp is my powerhorse the others are for playing around my new saw is the little171 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383257903.431284.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.