Love that sun angle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Two of my arrays are adjustable and I normally leave them at 30 degrees during the winter. I really should bump them up to 45 degrees around March 21st but usually leave them at the winter angle until the end of march or early April in case I get a late snowstorm, thus my angle isn't ideal but with snow on the ground I get a lot of reflected light so I don't lose much generation. My roof array is around 60 degrees, when its not covered with snow, it definitely puts out less power due to the winter angle being too low. At this time of the year with the sun rapidly rising up in the sky, I start to get a lot better sun angle and the days are still cold so the roof panels are starting to get up near rated design. Unfortunately at the point where they are optimal angle its summertime and the roof heats up so the thermal coefficient starts derating them but the longer number of hours of generation makes up for it. On a day like today it reminds me to run my minisplit for heating as otherwise I will end up with surplus generation running into the summer.

Unfortunately my arrays are all old school so except for a total production meter I cant look at the nice graphs other folks use to keep an eye on their production. Nevertheless despite the deep snow on the ground my PV system is telling me its spring. Give it about 4 weeks and I switch my SHW over from the wood boiler to the SHW panels. Its good thing as my wood supply is out except for some ash I raided from next year.

Yes, it's nice for us to see the sun starting to clear some of the higher trees to the south and west now. The equinox is only 2 weeks away!

My tilt is 34 degrees which favors Fall and Spring, not optimum for summer, but a good compromise that seems to work well, especially in Spring with the snow cover bounce. Yesterday, Mar 5, hit a new high for 2015: 46.4kwh, vs my all time high of 48kwh (one day only, Mar 15, 2014).

Mine doesn't matter.. 48 panels under 3 or 4 feet of snow for 6 weeks.

Snowmobiling has been FANTASTIC though!

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.