loveless ash vac vs shop vac,,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an update, I used the Powersmith a couple days ago for the first time and it worked great! Quick and easy to begin using and works very effectively.

I'm excited for cold weather to return tonight so I can start burning and testing it again!

As an update, I used the Powersmith a couple days ago for the first time and it worked great! Quick and easy to begin using and works very effectively.

I'm excited for cold weather to return tonight so I can start burning and testing it again!
Did you wear ear protection?

Ha, it wasn't that loud to me; no more than a shop vac. Did you have one?
I still do. I've gone back to scoop and metal bucket.

If not for the Powersmith my 25-PDVC would be holding a pot plant. For the life of me I don't know how somebody scoops the ash out of one.

Reactions: BillLion and bogieb
If not for the Powersmith my 25-PDVC would be holding a pot plant. For the life of me I don't know how somebody scoops the ash out of one.
Is that a pellet stove? Never owned one. I've got boxes of ash that a scoop fits nicely in. 4-5 hefty scoops carefully placed in the can and I'm done. No unwinding/ rewinding cords, no ear shattering noise, no storing the vacuum and hoses.

Well, yeah. Since this is the pellet room of the forum. With the wood stove I just scoop the ash into a bucket. It has an ash pan and ash dump but I blocked them off years ago. Just like I did with my old wood stove.

But when the wood stove is cold, that Powersmith comes out and gets'er done. The hearth too all season. No ash dust in the exhaust like every shop vac I have ever owned. No matter what expensive filter was in it. And no new filters to keep buying.

Reactions: BillLion
Yeah, I had one of the 25-PDVC stoves; it was first one I had on the main floor where the P43 is now. I was used to the P61a downstairs and couldn't believe that it had no ash pan (I bought a very used stove for very cheap sight unseen from the Ex's coworker). I literally took a gravy ladle and scooped out the ashes. It was almost a blessing that it only ran 3 times before the combustion motor went and then the auger started running backwards during the shut down. Scared me so bad I decided to sell it instead of fix it. Found the Hastings and life was good. Would never buy a stove without an ash pan intentionally :oops:

Well, yeah. Since this is the pellet room of the forum. With the wood stove I just scoop the ash into a bucket. It has an ash pan and ash dump but I blocked them off years ago. Just like I did with my old wood stove.

But when the wood stove is cold, that Powersmith comes out and gets'er done. The hearth too all season. No ash dust in the exhaust like every shop vac I have ever owned. No matter what expensive filter was in it. And no new filters to keep buying.

I only have a wood stove, and have found the Powersmith to be very helpful. I'd rather have a loud noise for a few moments than the smell of ash along with its irritants in the house. I'm sure some must do better than I did of scooping out manually, but I tried! I sprayed the ashes with water, covered the ash bucket after each scoop...it still wasn't effective for me. Happy with my new purchase.

I'll leave the exh.fan on while cleaning out the stoves, helps carry off the ash so it doesn't blow around even with the vac going it seems with out the fan running it will escape

I use a standard Shop Vac with a Gore Cleanstream HEPA filter. The filter is washable and does not clog quickly, and does not allow any ash to exhaust out of the vac (its a HEPA filter). Downside is that it costs about $35 dollars, but I have ben using mine for years.

I use a 5 gallons ShopVac with the yellow plaster dust filter. It makes no mess and I can do the whole season on one bag. It's not exactly expensive to run!

Reactions: Edward Hughes
Status
Not open for further replies.